What is todays Trifecta of headphones?
Feb 22, 2023 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

lord_tris

1000+ Head-Fier
Long time ago the old trifecta HD650, K701 and the Dt880 were the fancy pants but I have not followed what everyone would consider as todays version of this.

Remember these were not the most expensive just the best sounding for their time and price.

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 46
I think now you'd get even less of an overall consensus of 3 headphones. Back then, it might have seemed that HD650, K701, and DT880 were the most referenced. But you still had a large fan base for Stax or K1000. Or some would prefer the HD600 over HD650. Now we've got more brands and choice in driver type. The trifecta you list do have quite different FR curves (so they would cover different people's preferences). Now we've got more stats, planars, dynamic designs that extend the range of how a headphone sounds.

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 46
Let's cut down the playing field. Do they all have to work off the same amp? If so, it's all planar and dynamic and Hedd, or it's all estat, or all ribbon.

crazy money or tight?

classical or metal or ?

what do you like, and dislike about what you have or have heard?

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 46
Let's cut down the playing field. Do they all have to work off the same amp? If so, it's all planar and dynamic and Hedd, or it's all estat, or all ribbon.

crazy money or tight?

classical or metal or ?

what do you like, and dislike about what you have or have heard?
Not really where I was going with this question/discussion.
Before back like 2010s a good set up would have 2 or 3 of those headphones i mentioned the HD600/650 K701/2 or the DT880 250/600 Ohm. with sprinkles of SR325/i in there.
That's all I am looking to figure out. what are the headphones today that work well with each other or compliment well with other headphones.

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 46

crazy money or tight?

classical or metal or ?

what do you like, and dislike about what you have or have heard
If it was me, I have the something old (HD-Senn 600 on a Bottlehead Crack) for pure timbre, a used HiFiMan HE-500 w/ mods & EQ for midrange magic, and something new: HE-6 SE for technicalities and impact both on a Schiit Ragnarok (a potent SS amp that plays speakers too).

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 46
Not really where I was going with this question/discussion.
Before back like 2010s a good set up would have 2 or 3 of those headphones i mentioned the HD600/650 K701/2 or the DT880 250/600 Ohm. with sprinkles of SR325/i in there.
That's all I am looking to figure out. what are the headphones today that work well with each other or compliment well with other headphones.
OK, see my last post. The market has expanded 10 X, and the prices have essentially jumped about 6 X, and as the 1st responder to you said - if you get 100 lists about 96 will be unique. The consensus is down a good deal since 2010 due to the choices and burgeoning technologies.

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 46
I was most active on this forum back when HD600/650, K701, DT880 were the most talked about. Then more recently I tried collecting some closed backs for the office, then a couple open designs. If I were to make an observation, it would be that there's more enthusiasm with the smaller brands that have started: and fans are willing to spend $4k for the new flagship. If you're looking for a vote, I was most HD650 fan (there wasn't a "veil" for me, but seemed like soundstage). DT880 sounded good for certain genres (I'm mainly alternative, electronic, jazz, classical), but could have a bit of a scoop. AKG's signature just didn't seem to be for my ears/preferences. I have enjoyed planars: they have a clear extension (and still, really just design of the headphone itself how much soundstage there is). If being driven, I enjoy my Audeze LCD-2 for percussions. My Aeons for vocals and acoustics. I think the Focals are an upgrade to the 650 and I have no issues driving them on anything.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 46
Edit (misinterpreted the topic): I think the Sundara are comfortably replacing the HD600, though the Beyer DT880 is still mentioned being better than DT900 Pro or the other Beyer's (Timeless classic?). The Sennheiser HD 560s seem to be mentioned instead of the HD650 these days, though I have read conflicting reports whether they are totally objectively better or not. The HD800 has been replaced by the HD800s and Hifiman/Focal/Audeze/Stax to name a few have outdone the Sennies on a few fronts others than soundstage.

For me that would be the #1 Semi-closed back EMU Teak for that Woody reverbing flavor in the Bass and mids with some excellent sparkle in the highs, a slightly coloured yet beautifully balanced experience with some excellent sub bass body; #2 Hifiman HE-500, the best mids in town with a full bass body and detailed highs which extend nicely, dual sided magnet planars are something else; #3 HD-25 Aluminium for portable use, they are build like tanks and actually have a very detailed sound, though their bass while being offensively present in a quiet room fit the noisy outside environment perfect and never bleed into the rest of the detailed Sennheiser house sound spectrum. Arguably none of these headphones are the last word on soundstage such as that on the Sennheiser HD800(s).
*An honourable mention is the Hifiman Sundara, which I will take with me alongside the Alu HD25 because the build quality and sound are excellent when driven by the LG V40 Quad Dac amp.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 46
What did Summit-fi provide you objectively better when comparing mid-fi or the Sundara f.e.?
Most of them are objectively heavier than mid-fi. 1266 in particular will bruise your finger if it falls on it. Susvara and Utopia have objectively more fragile diaphragms than mid-fi products.

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 46
What did Summit-fi provide you objectively better when comparing mid-fi or the Sundara f.e.?
Haven't heard all of them. I just listed all that are the most mentioned. Objectively, the higher end cans offer better technicalities... ie resolution, speed/transients, soundstage, imaging, layering and also things like timbre and texture.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 46
Summit fi = companies found a way to offer 5%-10% more technical performance and charge 4-5x the price knowing people will buy.

Current obtainable trifecta for most would be:
Focal Clear
Arya
HD600/650

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #15 of 46
Hard to put a number on things like that but I don't think there's anything under $2,000 that comes even remotely close (80%) to a Susvara in terms of technicalities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back