What is tight bass?
Nov 2, 2004 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

crimsonadam

Banned
I think i can get a good idea about how tight bass sounds, but actually what i'm interested in is: what is it exactly. From an electronic standpoint, how does an amp "tighten the bass" what is being done to the electronic signal that then results in the bass sounding "tight."

I suppose that this question can get fairly scientific, but i would hope that those in the know won't shy away from being thorough.

Nov 2, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 19
My opinion...."tight" is a bass that is deep, well resolved and that offers some output pressure on ears...if one of this three would be missing , I wouldn't call a bass "tight".

Nov 2, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 19
Tight bass basically means bass that times properly. For example, a midbass snap should start and stop rapidly. A low bass note that changes tone should be easy to hear and should not sound like a single note but should sound like exactly the frequency that it is, and should do it in a timely manner.

Nov 2, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Tight bass basically means bass that times properly. For example, a midbass snap should start and stop rapidly. A low bass note that changes tone should be easy to hear and should not sound like a single note but should sound like exactly the frequency that it is, and should do it in a timely manner.

Good description, couldn't put it better.

Nov 2, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 19
What Paul said
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure there are innumerable creative ways to tigthen an equipment's bass response, but it probably all centers around getting the equipment (whether it be an amp, cables, tube, etc.) to move free electrons more effectively. This could be accomplishedd with bigger capacitors, shorter signal paths, better conductors, class of operation, etc.

Nov 2, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett

Now what cans do you think fit this description? Personally, I feel my Etymotic ER-4S's have extremely tight bass when amped properly. Unamped, they lack the impact, but the resolution and midbass snap gives me the chills
etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 19
I consider a tight bass to have a fast attack paired with a quick and above all realistic decay. The bass impact (transient snap) should not exceed an unnatural manner.

Nov 2, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I consider a tight bass to have a fast attack paired with a quick and above all realistic decay. The bass impact (transient snap) should not exceed an unnatural manner.

bass bloat and bass flabbiness at worst can actually mask detail and frequencies around it.

For instance, when a flabby bloated bass note is hit, it goes "BLEH." what instrument did it come from? what note was that supposed to be?

A tight bass would be "BAM" - ah, a kick drum. plus i can hear that it's a tight plastic drumskin, or one of those vintage Pearl stressed drumheads.

Or "THUMP." ah, a plucked double bass note. plus i can hear the fingers brushing over the string and the woody resonance of the note too.

Or "DOOMDOOMDOOMDOOMDOOMMMM..." A sequencer with a quick progression of bass notes. I can hear each distinct note as the arpeggio runs around in the basement. plus the midbass isn't overwhelmed, even using the Darth Beyers. the fake echo/reverb even with subwoofer bass is distinct and cleanly projected (can't really tell with grado's lack of soundstage, but with the beyers you can."

That kind of thing, if that makes any sense.

Nov 2, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
I think i can get a good idea about how tight bass sounds, but actually what i'm interested in is: what is it exactly. From an electronic standpoint, how does an amp "tighten the bass" what is being done to the electronic signal that then results in the bass sounding "tight."

I suppose that this question can get fairly scientific, but i would hope that those in the know won't shy away from being thorough.

From an electronic point of view, an amplifier has to work with the system as a whole, so it's more than just a single part, but, assuming that there's good synergy between the components of your audio system and a good, clean signal has made it to your amplifier, and amplifier isn't really tightening the bass as much as it is passing on an accurate signal. But, since that's a weasel answer, here's what has to happen to get that accurate signal to your headphones:

The amplifier has to have sufficient current delivery capability to produce the necessary voltage into the load (the headphones) so that the signal doesn't clip. The various stages in the amplifier need to have a sufficiently high slew rate to generate the voltage swing fast enough to accurately represent the signal - the output stage is probably the most critical since that's where the "big" signal is. It also needs to have a damping factor high enough to be able to overcome the back EMF, the voltage that the headphone drivers generate as a function of their motion (although with headphones, it's fairly inconsequential because the drivers have very little mass).
The amplifier obviously need sufficient bandwidth to pass a bass signal, too.

Maybe the better question to ask is what does an amplifier do to a signal to make it not sound tight and accurate.

There's also plenty of work that the headphones have to do to give you the snappy bass - don't forget about them!

-Drew

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 19
I think tight bass is controlled bass, or in general, good bass. The absence of the typical timing problems in the bass characterizes tight bass. In logical terms that would be:

TightBass = NOT (bad1 OR bad2 OR .... badn)

Examples of bad features in bass:
Sloppy
Slow
Bloated
Boomy
Distorted

But actually, boomy and bloated bass are probably more related to the flatness of the response in bass, e.g. more related to balance, rather than to tightness.

I think "tight" bass does not directly imply "extended" or deep bass either, that would also be response related, rather than control/timing related. Bass can be very tight and controlled, that is, down to the rated response of the driver. E.g. Some bookshelf speakers can have very tight bass (or I would describe it as such), even though they just go down to 40Hz.

The flatness of the bass response has little to do with how tight it sounds. A subwoofer may have good response let's say 25Hz to 100Hz, and assuming good placement in appropriate room, still the sub may lack tight bass, which makes it useless or inappropriate for music, while still possibly ok for home theater rumblings and LFE effects.

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Bass without overshoot (hyperactive over-reaction to even slight bass impulses) or muddy-ness that interferes with the rest of the music. Controlled and firm, still deep but not flabby.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 19
Tight bass is:

bass notes that dont run into each other (unless that effect is desired) as in
good attack and appropriate decay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back