What is the weak link in my chain?
Nov 5, 2007 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bcwang

500+ Head-Fier
I have a feeling my amp is the weak link in my current home setup. Whatever you think is the weak link in my chain, please tell me what component change would bring it up to par with the rest of the system. Upgraditus sets in!

iron lung jellyfish->Rega Saturn->Kimber KS1011->XP-7 with ad797-> either K701 or RS1 depending on mood

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd say the XP7 (with or without the optional PSU) is your weak link.

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm running my xp-7 with batteries.

What amp do you think would be suitable to keep from holding back the sound? The GS-1, GS-X, and Opera have been giving me some interest. But they are rather expensive so have to be a good deal more transparent/better than the XP-7. I really want a transparent system to hear what the Saturn is feeding out. The XP-7 being op-amp swappable with different sound with different op-amp tells me it isn't transparent.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 8
HeadAmp GS-1 is definitely transparent. I think you should also look into the Beta 22, M^3, or PPA. Those DIY circuits (especially the Beta 22) have gotten a lot of raves and there are some great builders around here.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 8
I would not say the xp7 is a weak link, its a great amp and will give you what you give it.

have you tried the setup with out using the monster power strip in the line?
this can have some effect on your digital side of things. also power cords with cd players seem to be a bit more touchy.

i would try out the rig without the monster power in the line for a few days to get used of the sound then go back and see what you hear as in difference (if any).
then i would swap power cables on the cd player and try those out for a few days also.

The gs1/gsx would give you more imaging and clearer transparency but overall a different sonic signature from the xp-7. not really better as a product but different. this can be played with on a opamp roll in the xp7 also..
both amps are great really.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not say the xp7 is a weak link, its a great amp and will give you what you give it.

have you tried the setup with out using the monster power strip in the line?
this can have some effect on your digital side of things. also power cords with cd players seem to be a bit more touchy.

i would try out the rig without the monster power in the line for a few days to get used of the sound then go back and see what you hear as in difference (if any).
then i would swap power cables on the cd player and try those out for a few days also.

The gs1/gsx would give you more imaging and clearer transparency but overall a different sonic signature from the xp-7. not really better as a product but different. this can be played with on a opamp roll in the xp7 also..
both amps are great really.

I don't think I want to plug my Saturn directly into the wall. With the strange power fluctuations I've seen here, I don't want to damage my CD player, especially one of that cost.

I am looking for better imaging and transparency as well as more detail. Will the GS-1/GS-X give more of that than the XP-7 with any op-amp? The thing about op-amp rolling I don't want to deal with is I want to use it with 2 headphones. If different op-amps give different sonic signatures, it probably will be a different one being better for each headphone. That's too much hassle. I just want transparency on the amp so the source and headphone's own sonic signature are the only things I'm listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back