What is the value in modern dance-pop music?
May 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #31 of 34

Quote:
I do like to add that in my humble opinion the older songs on the radio are as just as bad as the newer ones.

Yeah it probably depends on radio channel. I recive in my small country 12 channels, there ain't that much variety.
But internet radios is another story, selection is pretty big.
We have here in Estonia's Sky-Plus radio an show where popular new music is translated to local language and covered in radio.
Most of it is pretty idiotic and funny how pointless the lyrics are.
If u understand estonian then look it up:
http://www.skyplus.fm/podcast/podcast_order.php?type=tlugu&style=xml
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sky+Plus+T%C3%B5lkelugu&aq=f

Still even if the lyrics are pointless the vocals may sound good and rhythm blow your mind.

May 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #32 of 34

Quote:
Thursday,Ynoskire:
Ah I see. Sorry, I'd assumed the genre(s) in question were like the kind of music played at club, since it was called "dance".

Thursday: liking a genre needn't mean it was a person's first and/or most meaningful exposure to music, no?

Ah, true, true. But if a person comes to enjoy a style of music simply through association with an enjoyable experience... well, it just seems strange to me that someone in their late teens / early 20's hasn't already developed a taste for something else. Many fans of Ke$ha or Flo Rida are kids, and the ones I know have never been to a dance club.

I think the kind of music someone will like is based on their friend's tastes, too. My friends, for example, used to love screamo rock. We used to go to Emery, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Silverstein, and Chiodos concerts together, but now we've sort of dropped the ball on that and I've moved on to other music. But I am still convinced that there has to be something concretely appealing about chart-dance-pop music!

Quote:
Doesn't matter, we're all here to learn.

"Thank you for that clarification. I am curious about your logic here too -- are you saying that popular music is a sort of "catch-22," wherein music is popularized because it is played on the radio, and also played on the radio because it is popular? Or is there some innate characteristic of the music that makes it popular in the first place?"
Yup, I actually know a singer who is trying to break through in the mainstream audience (Jenny Lane, although I don't like her music in particular
tongue.gif
I'd have to say that she does have talent in singing), she's constantly negotiating with radiostations for airtime. Getting your music played on major radiostations requires good cont(r)acts.

Thanks for that example!
tongue.gif

Quote:
Many of them have pointless repeating lyrics.
Often sentence is half baked and repeated in lyrics.
Then there are so called voices - not words - and again repeated 10x in row.
That music i don't like.

There is also good modern music with message and good rhythm.
But i find good songs from radio to be the older ones and the new tracks are most garbage.
So i get CD's

Interesting. Mind providing some examples?

May 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:
I completely agree. Music IS art, my favorite form of it, I might add.
L3000.gif
I love how you said it! (bolded text). But I still think there are ways to analytically discuss music. Maybe a better way to think about it would be to ask yourself how you'd feel if any single aspect of the music was removed. I noticed earlier you mentioned that you don't care precisely what the lyrics are. But how would you feel if a female vocalist was replaced by a male singer, or if the lyrics consisted entirely of "na na ba ba" repeated sixty times? What if one of the instruments in a song was removed? What if cowbell was added? Or what if the song was played an octave higher than the original recording? It may be difficult to imagine each of these scenarios given that you already know the songs you love.

Have you ever listened to a remix of a song that you already knew? What was different about the remixed version and how did that impact you differently? I'm interested in specific emotions (simple or complex), mental associations or cultural references, reminders of or ties to personal experiences, etc.

It would be important to note that I am somewhat a passive listener, so I don't actually break down or analyze any of the music I listen to, I'm rarely thinking about the music I listen to, which unfortunately, is due to the somewhat busy lifestyle of this day and age =(. That's probably one of the reasons why I seem to be very tolerable on say very poor recordings or the mainstream music without much 'substance' so to speak.

Since I grew up watching a lot of Anime(English subbed) as a kid, about 75% of my collection is in Japanese and I don't actually understand a shred of it eheh. I just hope the 'love-song' sounding songs aren't actually about murdering kittens, that would slightly ruin things wouldn't it.
I think the inability to understand Japanese vocals means that I'm programmed to view the vocals as 'notes' and not 'words', and I suppose this habit carries over to when I listen to an English song, which would explain why I'm not bothered by naughty lyrics and such eh?

Despite that though, I still have my personal tastes and biases!, I love listening to amateur/hobbyist female vocalists livestreaming, it's the 'rawness' that gets to me =P.
I actually like listening to remixes of various pieces of music, Touhou is a series of video games by a composer(he made the games to 'showcase' his music!), and the sheer scale of 'fan' re-arranges and remixes is pretty much a whole industry in itself in Japan.

I feel that despite the roots of the remixes originating from the same song, you can get quite dramatic differences in terms of emotion, so I view remixes as completely different songs itself (hell, I sometimes can't even recognise that 2 different remixes were from the same song).

So I guess you can say that I'm not really an "original-only" fanboy or anything like that, as I take the remixes for what they are (completely different songs, and not just another spin on the original).
Perhaps this is another reason why I'm not bothered by the top40 stuff, do many of the songs have somewhat similar 'melodies' to older/other songs? I think somebody might have mentioned that they did. (I don't listen closely enough to notice it myself ahah).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back