What is the technical shortcoming of the Xonar ST/STX headphone amplifier?
Mar 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dibster

Head-Fier

I realize discussions of soundcards should usually be in another area, but seeing as I am speaking specifically about it's headphone amplifier relative to other full-size amplifiers I felt this was the correct area.

The Xonar cards are often getting trashed here on the forums as not being anywhere near capable of driving hifi headphones like the HD800 I own. From what I've understood the 10ohm output impedance is well within 1/8th of the HD800's 300ohm impedance so that shouldn't be a factor for frequency response. The amp is rated to 7.03V which, according to an online calculator, is high enough to run my HD800's up to ~124db SPL.

So as per thread title, what exactly is the technical shortcoming of the STX that more expensive full-sized amplifiers would do better?

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Mar 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Xonar cards are often getting trashed here on the forums as not being anywhere near capable of driving hifi headphones like the HD800 I own. From what I've understood the 10ohm output impedance is well within 1/8th of the HD800's 300ohm impedance so that shouldn't be a factor for frequency response. The amp is rated to 7.03V which, according to an online calculator, is high enough to run my HD800's up to ~124db SPL.

Of course, high power and low output impedance do not guarantee that an amplifier is really good, since there are other parameters that affect sound quality. But it is indeed popular to bash sound cards without good objective reason. If the TPA6120 is implemented well on the card, and there is no audible noise, then it could very well be fine with your headphones.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your replies.

I'm interested in what performance metric specifically the STX is lacking in in the doubters' opinion. All the published and measured metrics seem to be between excellent to outstanding and I can't find the reason why an expensive full-sized amplifier would benefit me. I can only find people claiming it simply would or that the STX can't drive demanding 'phones because it's cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back