What is the Stax Lambda Nova Classic equivalent to?
Jan 27, 2006 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty sure that the Lambda Nova Classic earspeaker is not currently in production, but what models is it equivalent to, both present and past? Is it the same as the Lambda Pro Signature?

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 7
No. The Lambda Pro was the top of the line Stax at the time, and so was the Lambda Signature when it came out. The Lambda Nova series was the equivalent to the SR-x0x series that's out right now (The Lambda Nova Classic was the equivalent to the SR-303), and while it was out, the SR-Omega was out as well, and was the top of the line Stax. (I think... correct me if I'm wrong?)

People have consistently preferred the Lambda Pro and Lambda Signature over the SR-404 at meets, and I would expect the SR-404 to be better than the Lambda Nova Classic. However, I strongly suspect that the preferences were due to incorrect system synergy with the SR-404. The latter-day Lambdas represented a significant re-voicing of Stax Lambda-series phones, which became brighter and less impactful [note: this sentence is hearsay, and is based on what I've read on meet reports, and not personal experience]. They definitely need very specific sources and amplification (tubes) in order to sound balanced, at least to my ear. With the right system synergy the SR-404 sounds awesome, but I have to compare it to a well-matched Lambda Pro in order to see what the real deal is.

Anyway, the Lambda Nova Classic is probably a very good headphone, but you'd better match it up with tubes, or it will sound thin and bright.

Jan 28, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 7
The Lambda Nova Signature should be the rough equivalent of the SR-404.
The Lambda Nova Classic should correspond to the SR-303.
Note also that there were efficiency changes: the Lambda Pro series played at 103dB with 100V at 1kHz. The Lambda Novas and SR-404 and 303 series play at 100dB for the same voltage.
There were also impedance changes: The Lambda Pro and Signature were 143kohm and the Lambda Nova Series were 133kohm except the Signature which was 143kohm.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
People have consistently preferred the Lambda Pro and Lambda Signature over the SR-404 at meets, and I would expect the SR-404 to be better than the Lambda Nova Classic. However, I strongly suspect that the preferences were due to incorrect system synergy with the SR-404. The latter-day Lambdas represented a significant re-voicing of Stax Lambda-series phones, which became brighter and less impactful [note: this sentence is hearsay, and is based on what I've read on meet reports, and not personal experience]. They definitely need very specific sources and amplification (tubes) in order to sound balanced, at least to my ear. With the right system synergy the SR-404 sounds awesome, but I have to compare it to a well-matched Lambda Pro in order to see what the real deal is.

Anyway, the Lambda Nova Classic is probably a very good headphone, but you'd better match it up with tubes, or it will sound thin and bright.

I can add something to this now. I already own the Lambda Signature and the SRM3 (solid state). I have recently acquired the Lambda Nova Signature and SRMT1S (tube) energiser.

I have to disagree with your comments (albeit only reflecting what you'd heard said). I find the Novas less bright than the original Signatures. For example, brass instruments really rasp on the Sigs. The Sigs also seem a little more open and transparent, maybe with a larger "soundstage" too (though I'm not sure I know what that means!) Interestingly, I actually think the tube energiser sounds a little brighter than the solid state SRM3. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Whatever, overall the differences between headsets and the energisers, despite one being valve and the other solid state, are remarkably small. I am not sure that in a blind test I would be able to tell which combination I was wearing.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99
I can add something to this now. I already own the Lambda Signature and the SRM3 (solid state). I have recently acquired the Lambda Nova Signature and SRMT1S (tube) energiser.

I have to disagree with your comments (albeit only reflecting what you'd heard said). I find the Novas less bright than the original Signatures. For example, brass instruments really rasp on the Sigs. The Sigs also seem a little more open and transparent, maybe with a larger "soundstage" too (though I'm not sure I know what that means!) Interestingly, I actually think the tube energiser sounds a little brighter than the solid state SRM3. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Whatever, overall the differences between headsets and the energisers, despite one being valve and the other solid state, are remarkably small. I am not sure that in a blind test I would be able to tell which combination I was wearing.

Interesting. I was largely basing this on meet impressions, where the Lambda Signature was compared against the SR-404, both side-by-side out of a new SRM-717. The Lambda Signature was found to be less bright and more tonally balanced than the SR-404.

Thanks for your impressions, they are very valuable. It is very hard to get comparative accounts on the different Stax models.

From personal experience, the SR-404 is bright, thin, and etched with the SRM-313 directly out of my source (Rega Planet 2000 for now). However, putting a tube preamp in between the source and the SRM-313, or replacing the SRM-313 with a tube amp (EA-1) really brought the SR-404 to life. It's simply much more tonally balanced, more vibrant, more alive. I'd say that a warm tube amp or a tube pre-amp, basically tubes somewhere in the signal path, are a must for the SR-404 and by extension the various Lambdas. I would have expected the SRM-T1 to be warmer than it's SS counterparts. Perhaps a tuberoll can get it to sound the way it should?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back