What is the source for the amp input?
Jan 24, 2002 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LarryS

100+ Head-Fier
Newbie question here re headphone amps,

I've been thinking about adding the EarMaxPro & HD-600 to my stereo system. I know that the EMP has RCA inputs, but what component is supposed to be on the other end?

I have a pre-amp, amp & turntable (will think about getting a CD player when I'm sure they're not a passing fad...anyone remember the L-cassette?
smily_headphones1.gif

Would I feed the EMP from the pre-amp or from the turntable, or from the amp??? My pre-amp has a headphone jack. (My pre/amp are the old Mitsubishi dual monaurals, circa 1978, attached to Visonik David speakers).

I'm guessing the headphone route is the most economical way (<$1000) to upgrade my system, especially considering that both my wife & teenage daughter (would you believe) complain about reasonable listening volumes. And I really mean reasonable!

So I'm looking for a headphone/amp combo that will work with my existing system.

Thanks!

Larry in Dallas

Jan 24, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
I have a pre-amp, amp & turntable (will think about getting a CD player when I'm sure they're not a passing fad...anyone remember the L-cassette?
smily_headphones1.gif

Would I feed the EMP from the pre-amp or from the turntable, or from the amp??? My pre-amp has a headphone jack. (My pre/amp are the old Mitsubishi dual monaurals, circa 1978, attached to Visonik David speakers).

Larry:

Welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

You definitely do not want to feed the EMP from your turntable, unless your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp that puts out a line-level signale. The best bet is to use a line-level out from your pre-amp (like a "tape-out" jack or similar).

Jan 24, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply!

Jan 24, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

I've been thinking about adding the EarMaxPro & HD-600 to my stereo system.

That's a GREAT combo Larry.......go for it. Just don't be too near your wife and daughter while listening. Would you believe I still get "Turn it down!"? That's why I got Etys.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back