What is the significance of the driver's housing and why do is it so minimalistic in flag ship models?
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sodasoda

100+ Head-Fier
What is the exact use of the different specialized housing created for the flag ship headphone models. How does it effect the acoustics and what is the primary feature of a housing unit?

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 6
I wouldn't say all flagships are necessarily minimal, but there is quite a bit of acoustic engineering that goes into it.

Probably two of the main issues with headphone housings are resonance and reflections. Resonance being the effect a vibrating driver unit has on the actual driver housing. Cascading vibrations into the housing can cause negative effects with the sound quality.

Sound is also reflecting off the surfaces in the housing, and techniques such as open back designs and minimalistic enclosures can help reduce the reflections occurring within the headphone enclosure itself.

I do think people underestimate just how much thought and engineering goes into the actual housing. People tend to focus disproportionately on the drivers, but to use a car analogy, an engine will only get you so far, a chassis shaped like a brick wall will be the limiter of your performance as speed increases and wind resistance takes over. Wind tunnel research and testing is incredibly expensive, and yet it is an underappreciated aspect of car design as people generally only focus on the engine.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Lower quality headpho
I wouldn't say all flagships are necessarily minimal, but there is quite a bit of acoustic engineering that goes into it.

Probably two of the main issues with headphone housings are resonance and reflections. Resonance being the effect a vibrating driver unit has on the actual driver housing. Cascading vibrations into the housing can cause negative effects with the sound quality.

Sound is also reflecting off the surfaces in the housing, and techniques such as open back designs and minimalistic enclosures can help reduce the reflections occurring within the headphone enclosure itself.

I do think people underestimate just how much thought and engineering goes into the actual housing. People tend to focus disproportionately on the drivers, but to use a car analogy, an engine will only get you so far, a chassis shaped like a brick wall will be the limiter of your performance as speed increases and wind resistance takes over. Wind tunnel research and testing is incredibly expensive, and yet it is an underappreciated aspect of car design as people generally only focus on the engine.
I understand but I confused minimal for the general appearence. They want to minimize interference and simply pull out the best of drivers at which attunes the best sound they could do. With modern flagships

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 6
I have lots of experience of modding headphones, it's true that different headphone housings shape the sound produced by the transducers in different ways. Some headphone housings are shaped/designed in such a way as to enhance the bass frequencies (Fostex's TH series for example, also the original Denon AH-D series), some at minimizing internal resonance (such as Beyerdynamic T5P, T70). The flagship models tend to have more distinct designs and are made from more expensive materials, so it's no surprise that they also have less flaws with the sound.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 6
um thinking of an adjusted earpad to extend the distance from which the driver is from. t will be open, planars dont demonstate itself in complex specialized housing like dynamics. So im thinking of lots of circles and gaps in between circles for the thig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back