What is the Saddest song ever written?
Mar 2, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #46 of 656
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Yes, to me depression sounds very related to hopelessness. Sadness hurts and is terribly painful etc., but is not necessarily associated with depression or hopelessness, well at least for me. English is not my native language, so probably am not using the standard meanings of these words properly.

Although I had not thought of the difference before, I have to agree. Depression is chronic-sadness is not chronic but a natural reaction associated to an event. Spoting the difference in songs is a little tougher.

And BTW your english is excellent, rsaavedr.

Mar 2, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #47 of 656
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Yes, to me depression sounds very related to hopelessness. Sadness hurts and is terribly painful etc., but is not necessarily associated with depression or hopelessness, well at least for me. English is not my native language, so probably am not using the standard meanings of these words properly.

It sounds like you might be looking for something featuring a violin? A violin can be so moving that expresses a kind of “longing” sadness beyond language barriers. Meditation from "Thais" features a violin and is the most moving piece that I have ever heard. It can bring you to tears. It has relsolve at the end of the piece so it takes the "hopelessness" away.
296663.JPG

The one I have is conducted by Andras Ligeti and performed by the Budapest Philharmonic from a “Top 10 Of Classical Music - Romantic” LaserLight CD. There is a sample of it if you go down to the tracks. It is track number 3. It is a 5:05 track but you can download a one-minute sample on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001VRF/
I don’t know who the violinist is but in it’s entirety it is incredibly moving.

I have heard another version that was not moving at all: http://www.howtofaq.com/faqNO80VQ5WUPSC.php This second mp3 is a free download but it has a violinist that plays it pretty dry. So I actually recommend that you avoid this second download and try to listen to the first one that is on Amazon.
280smile.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #49 of 656
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
Depression is chronic-sadness is not chronic but a natural reaction associated to an event.

That's another difference indeed, well at least imho. Depression would be a chronic and very negative state of affairs, a long lasting and very miserable/destructive state, sadness is not so dark or negative or damaging.
Thanks for the comment on my English
cool.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #50 of 656
i also agree that there is a difference between sadness and depression. for me, depression and hopelessness in a song is usually tied with self-reflection and mood. sadness in a song is usually tied to a moment or event, or anything to do with a person/place/thing. to me, sad songs deals with topics that are more tangible than depressing of hopeless songs. that said, these are my opinions so others might differ.

anyway, these are some sad songs i can think of right now:

The Cure - Just Like Heaven: the most perfect of all songs. it's has a great pop hook, some of the best melodies of all time, the topic and the lyrics are utterly sad, poignant, and beautiful.

"daylight licked me into shape
i must have been asleep for days
and moving lips to breathe her name
i opened up my eyes
and found myself alone alone
alone above a raging sea
that stole the only girl i loved
and drowned her deep inside of me."

Robert Smith had said that "Just Like Heaven" is a true story, and that a night like this was worth a thousand nights of drudgery.
he's also said that this is one of the best songs he's ever written, and still remains his most favourite single. however, his most favourite Cure song still remains "Faith."

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart and Twenty-Four Hours:
"Why is the bedroom so cold
Turned away on your side?
Is my timing that flawed?
Our respect run so dry?
Yet there's still this appeal
That we've kept through our lives
Love, love will tear us apart again"

"So this is permanence, love’s shattered pride.
What once was innocence, turned on it’s side.
A cloud hangs over me, marks every move,
Deep in the memory, of what once was love."

about Ian Curtis' detiorating marriage. where "Just Like Heaven" deals with the bittersweet and melancholy, these Joy Division tracks delve into the despair of love gone wrong. there aren't any clear and absolute reasons why Ian Curtis took his own life, but it is possible that his love affair and deterioating marriage might have something to do with it.

Pet Shop Boys - Your Funny Uncle:
"A windy day
The cars in slow formation
Not far away
A final destination
One mother's son
His father's distant gaze, regretting
Where they went wrong
He always found it too upsetting

Me and my friend
We lived our lives completely
From start to end
You and your friend, so sweetly
With strength and pride
In spite of everything, and swimming
Against the tide
To obstinately hope of winning

And at the end
Your funny uncle staring
At all your friends
With military bearing
And stopped to stand
To smile and speak of you directly
Goodbye, shake hands
Like you did everything correctly

To wipe away the tears
No more pain, no fear
No sorrow or dying
No waiting or crying
These former things have passed away
Another life begins today"

a sad sad song written after the funeral for a friend who's died of an AIDS related illness. unlike many PSB songs, this one features no percussions, and was done in one or two takes which results in the most naked and revealing vocal recordings Neil Tennant has ever done. the song even features a few quotes based on the Book of Revalations for effect, the same quotes were read by Neil at the funeral itself.

Public Image Ltd. - Death Disco
"Seeing in your eyes
Words can never say the way
Told me in your eyes
Final in a fade
Never no more hope away
Final in a fade
Never really know
Never realize
Silence in your eyes
Never really know
Til its gone away
Never realize
The silence in your eyes
Never no more hope away
Final in a fade
Watch her slowly die
Saw it in her eyes
Choking on a bed
Flowers rotting dead
seen it in her eyes
Ending in a day
Silence was a way
Seeing in your eyes
I'm seeing through my eyes
Words cannot express"

John Lydon wrote this sad sad song for his mother who was dying of a terminally ill cancer. Mr. Lydon said that when he played it back for her she laughed... he commented how she had a sense of humour even in the midst of things.

Mar 3, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #51 of 656
Quote:

Originally posted by wali

IMO, not one song but the whole album in floyd's 'wall' is perhaps one of the most depressing and emotionally draining albums in history of music...

There are many cases of suicides where the person had been listening to Floyd for sometime before killing themselves.

I actually pick up quite a different picture from Floyd...
The Wall paints a picture of how life can go wrong without real human interaction, and the problems with trying to exist without interaction.

Most of Floyd CD's revolve around the wrong lifestyle, like DSoM or the Wall, which might paint a very depressing picture, but serve as a warning or deterrent for future generations.

Mar 3, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #52 of 656
I had a lovely reply, but unfortunately, the library computer I was on didn't have cookies enabled, (have no idea why; all the others do) and so it was lost when I had to re-sign in. Fools.

Anyway, what I was going to say was pretty much covered here. Depression and sadness are two distinctly different things.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #53 of 656
While I too am tempted to vote for "Everybody hurts" I think I have to go with Jawbreaker's "Shield Your Eyes". Depressing? Sad? Whatever.

Mar 3, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #54 of 656
bong, i love "just like heaven" but i curiously find it more uplifting than sad - the music seems to affect me more than the lyrics do.

another wonderfully sad album in a similar vein: the church's starfish.

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #55 of 656
Kila - Sean Deora .. its actually sung in Irish though so I haven't a clue what its actually about, but its easily one of the most haunting and emotional songs ever...

Bjork - Come To Me I find very sad, but thats probably due to personal reasons.

Janis Ian - Seventeen is incredibly depressing and sad as well (although I presume its been already mentioned).

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #56 of 656
Classical- Moonlight Sonata Beethoven...such a haunting melody

Pop- Remember Harry Nilsson...I cry when I hear this...

Jazz- Lush Life written by Billy Strayhorn...many wonderful renditions

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #57 of 656
Gary Jules - Mad World -- from the soundtrack to Donnie Darko - its a cover of some band which i forget the name to.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #58 of 656
Quote:

Originally posted by Riordan
bong, i love "just like heaven" but i curiously find it more uplifting than sad - the music seems to affect me more than the lyrics do.

another wonderfully sad album in a similar vein: the church's starfish.

hi riordan,

"Just Like Heaven" features some of the best pop hooks ever written in the history of modern music, but the lyrics are definately poignant and sad.

hmm... i've never got into The Church, perhaps i should, what do you recommend?

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #59 of 656
...well, I don't know if the saddest but what comes to mind right now:
King Crimson - Epitaph
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man

...and of course the ending theme of Pink Floyd's The Wall:

[size=small]Outside the Wall[/size] (Waters)

All alone, or in two's,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall...

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #60 of 656
Quote:

Gary Jules - Mad World -- from the soundtrack to Donnie Darko - its a cover of some band which i forget the name to.

The original band that performed it was tears for fears IIRC. And it's an amazing cover too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back