What is the rockin'est rendition of Voodoo Chile?
Jan 16, 2005 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

1UP

1000+ Head-Fier
I have heard two different versions of Voodoo Chile, from Electric Ladlyland, and even though the sound quality is pants, I much prefer the Slight Return (live?) version, especially for that intro! Yay!

But I don't have any other Hendrix CDs so I was wondering which other versions I should be looking for that are the rockin'est!

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
the sound quality is pants

HA! I like that.
icon10.gif

As for the question, I wonder how many Jimi versions exist? And a bit of an intimidating song, how many other bands have given it a shot?
I'd like to know also. Coincidentally I bought Jimi Hendrix:First Rays Of The New Sun today (not played yet).

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
And a bit of an intimidating song, how many other bands have given it a shot?

Late Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble has done it in one of their albums. They also used to perform it in concerts.

Jan 16, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 12
The latest G3 Force Live (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen) has one version of the VoodooChile, live, a little sloppy but very good also....

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 12
SRV's live version on the dvd "Live in Austin" is full of evil mojo. i think SRV was actually possessed for that take. check it out.

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
SRV's live version on the dvd "Live in Austin" is full of evil mojo. i think SRV was actually possessed for that take. check it out.

I've been meaning to pick up the dvd. Now I know exactly what I'm doing on my day-off tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Whatever Steve had running through his veins that night didn't seem to hamper his playing any. That was an awesome set. I saw it on PBS I believe some years back. I might have to go get the DVD too.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
As for the question, I wonder how many Jimi versions exist? And a bit of an intimidating song, how many other bands have given it a shot?

More than I know of. There's the ones that were already mentioned, the Woodstock version, the Fillmore East version, the Isle of Wight concert version, and at least a couple more I can't think of at the moment. Out of them all, I like the Woodstock version the most.

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 12
The Gil Evans Orchestra does a great version, with a tuba leading the way!

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 12
The 4 CD live set called Stages has 2 versions of slight return.
It's a very good CD set, but quite hard to get hold of, and expensive too I'd imagine. Each CD is a concert.

Stockholm 67
Paris 68
San Diego 69
Atlanta 70

As said before, the berkley live and live woodstock version are both very good too. I'd say get the woodstock CD first.

And always, I have to recommend his CD 'Band of Gypsys.' Though it doesn't have slight return on it, its got some fantastic songs that are quite a different sound from electric ladyland. It's also got the best recording of, in my opinion, one of hendrix's best songs - machine gun.

Bah, and get the Cry of Love or First rays while you're at it.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back