What is the rational behind FLAC rips from vinyl ?
Feb 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #31 of 36
  well I seem to make a lot of friends those days. I don't think what I said is incorrect. or that it was a mockery.
you're ok with rips of vinyls to digital so my guess is that you have a specific problem with 16/44? as I can't hear a difference between hires and 16/44, I guess there is no need to develop that part as we're not gonna find a common ground over there.

so back to vinyls. I happen to have been raised on vinyls, not that it's gonna change any facts. and I have some of my best memories and very much the foundations of my musical tastes from listening on the set up at my parent's house, or the even better setup and gigantic room at my grand parent's. I learned to love Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Mahler, Chopin... that way.
but my first experience with CD was "money for nothing" and the clean background just hit me in the face. it was so obvious and made any detail of the music so clear and easy to grasp, I needed to have that. after some times I did and never looked back. and the more time I spent listening to CDs, the less I could appreciate vinyls.
so while I agree with you that we can filter out things and adapt, in my case, background noise was one of those things that once heard can never be unheard(and you're right a second time, I am obsessed with noises and hissing in general in audio). I'm sure if I was to spend a month listening only to vinyls I would get used to it again, and I don't mind listening to a vinyls once in a while at someone's home. but I cannot force my mind into thinking that CD isn't superior.

I didn't say it was wrong to rip vinyls into flac, I have nothing against people saving what they like on a new format. I'm sure we can find digital recordings from wax cylinders and piano rolls. and some day those rips might be the only remainings of great musicians. so I really have no problem at all with that. all I argued about is to not mistake the great music for its medium, and things we like for audio quality. when you take a pic of a pretty scenery with a blurry smartphone the scenery is still pretty, but the smartphone wasn't the best media to use. for me what's wrong with CDs is that we use them for mostly crap music and ruined masters, but the media is just fine and when the master is great, the CD is enough to get it all with great precision. I can't say the same of vinyls.

Ditto.

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #33 of 36
i always find it funny , when people are bashing vinyl rips without having heard themselves the kind of vinyl rips some guys out there produce - and for free 
rolleyes.gif

enjoy spending money on these 'hdtracks' versions , i will spend my money somewhere better

and i am really hoping you run into these quality vinyl rips sometime soon, for me it has been an eye-opener 
eek.gif
 ever since i ran into them back in 2009 (and they have replaced most of my cd versions)

cheers

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 36
  Brass cymbals?

i always find it funny , when people are bashing vinyl rips without having heard themselves the kind of vinyl rips some guys out there produce - and for free 
rolleyes.gif

enjoy spending money on these 'hdtracks' versions , i will spend my money somewhere better

and i am really hoping you run into these quality vinyl rips sometime soon, for me it has been an eye-opener 
eek.gif
 ever since i ran into them back in 2009 (and they have replaced most of my cd versions)

cheers

Where can I get some of these free rips?

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #35 of 36
Till recently I have not heard flac's riped from vinyl, but thanks to a friend got the beatles orginal master recording 16 2/3 stereos in flac, ripped by dr.robert and have to say it is just unfair. Thei are far superior to the digital remasters every single sound is clear and crisp, how real and natural they sound is uncanny, the dimesionality and body of the sound. You just can not compare them to the digital releases even the 24bit/44,1 are not even close to them. Only downside are some rare crackls in there, but other than that sonicly the lp's andtheir high res flac rips are the best sounding suff one can get of the beatles.
We can not share stuff like that here, not sure about the legality of these. All I can say is look around for mfsl vynil rips.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #36 of 36
I completely agree and although I understand the arguments made by the people favouring digital, I think they base this on scientific facts and figures on paper rather than real life. I'm a fan of both analogue and digital and both when used properly, can deliver incredible results. However digital I find needs adjusting to sound more like analogue which our ears find more attractive, or mine do at least.

Apart from listening at home I have also spent time during the 1980s and 90s in recording studios that were all analogue, and the sonic experience is one I have never had with digital. I've heard and made some great recordings with digital, but analogue is just in another league, e.g. it reaches into your heart and soul. The scientific audio guys will think I am a sentimental, deluded and easily fooled dimwit for expressing this opinion, but so be it.

By the way if you want to remove the crackles from your vinyl recordings, without damaging the audio or breaking the bank, try this great easy to use software from here, which has performed miracles for me http://www.clickrepair.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back