What is the perfect headphone for sound, portability and comfort?
Apr 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JetJazz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so looking forward to being a part of the community.

I do a lot of traveling, and I am looking for a headphone with that perfect blend of sound, portability and comfort. I am looking for an entry to mid range pair around $150 -  $200.

Sound:
  1. I listen to Jazz, pop, rock, house & electronic
  2. I will also watch movies
  3. Noise isolation is important, but not critical

Portability:
  1. Looking for something that's not too bulky and can maybe fold
  2. A hard case is important (whether one comes with the headphone or I can buy separately) 
  3. Looking for something that easily stores in a small carry-on bag or backpack

Comfort:
  1. Looking for something that I can wear for multiple hours with little to no discomfort
  2. A headphone that I can fall asleep wearing
  3. A headphone that is light and doesn't make my ears hot

Thanks all. I look forward to the recommendations.

[size=10pt]The music becomes something that is its own entity - Herbie Hancock[/size]

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 18
V moda m80.
Popular head fi headphones in your price range that will suit your genres.
Also comes with a great carrying case, which is not seen much in the price range.
I hear that some people when they first get these will have comfort problems, but after "breaking them in" they get comfortable.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 18
The Sennheiser HD25-1 mk2 is also compact and very popular.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 18
Does it have to be on-ear?  If you're OK with in ear, I think there are a lot of choices that can do well with that list, none of which will be too hot and are super easy to carry and protect in a small case :)

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks, guys. I should have specifiied that I am looking for an on ear or over ear, but I will be researching each of the models you suggested.

Please feel free to suggest other headphones in the "on ear" and "over ear" space.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #9 of 18
If you are looking for on/over ears i also recommend v/m80's.  I picked up a pair about a week ago and i love them.  They don't fold but are relatively compact, I was actually surprised how small they are.  They are tiny compared to the Studio's (i know don't laugh lol) and Bose QC15's that I had tried before buying the m80's.  The head band is a bit stiff/tight and ear cushions a lil hard when you first buy them but I wore them most of the easter weekend and now they feel great.  They don't make you look like a tellatubbie and sound amazing.  They come with a hard case, but are built like a tank anyways so I wouldn't be worried about tossing them in a backpack.  Here are some pics from the m80 thread, I hope the original posters don't mind:

m80's and case

comparison to ATH-M50's

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 18
The M80 and HD25-1 mk2 look interesting, however they are expensive. I guess if these were under $100 I would probably buy them, however since they are closer to $200 each I'll pass. I'll stick with my Sony V6. The V6 sounds very neutral, but is bulkier than these, close in size to ATH-M50. The V6 is back down to under $80. It spiked up to $150 as there was a shortage of these. Last year it sold for $65. The v6(sold under the 7506 model) is a favorite of recoding studios, radio stations, and tv and music production. It is very study. Mine is 24 years old and still works fine(I did need to replace the earpads). Another interesting headphone under $100 I might buy is the Koss proDJ100. I might buy the Tony Bennett edition of this though, as this edition has a removable cord and is only a bit more expensive(around $90).

With headphones, there is tradeoff between isolation and hot ears. The more the isolate, the hotter your ears will get. The way to get around this is to choose an IEM(in the ear canal earphone) so you can get isolation without hot ears. That is why IEMs have become so popular. IEMs are also very compact, so when you are finished using it, you can put it in your shirt pocket with a small mp3 player.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
The M80 and HD25-1 mk2 look interesting, however they are expensive. I guess if these were under $100 I would probably buy them, however since they are closer to $200 each I'll pass. I'll stick with my Sony V6. The V6 sounds very neutral, but is bulkier than these, close in size to ATH-M50. The V6 is back down to under $80. It spiked up to $150 as there was a shortage of these. Last year it sold for $65. The v6(sold under the 7506 model) is a favorite of recoding studios, radio stations, and tv and music production. It is very study. Mine is 24 years old and still works fine(I did need to replace the earpads). Another interesting headphone under $100 I might buy is the Koss proDJ100. I might buy the Tony Bennett edition of this though, as this edition has a removable cord and is only a bit more expensive(around $90).

With headphones, there is tradeoff between isolation and hot ears. The more the isolate, the hotter your ears will get. The way to get around this is to choose an IEM(in the ear canal earphone) so you can get isolation without hot ears. That is why IEMs have become so popular. IEMs are also very compact, so when you are finished using it, you can put it in your shirt pocket with a small mp3 player.

Wow 24 years old ! that's very long how much does the earpads cost ? and the number of replacement over that 24 years?

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 18
I replaced the V6 earpads with the Beyerdynamic velour ones. They are less sweaty than the original ones, but give a bit less isolation. They are $20 a pair. Those same velour earpads also fit the ATH-M50. I replaced them just once.

There are many reports of people using the same Sony V6(or as the pro version model 7506 which is essentially the same but has a slightly stronger magnet, a gold plated plug, and longer warranty) for over 20 years. That is why radio stations love them. It might be the most durable headphone ever made. It is a very neutral headphone though, and many bassheads claim it is bass deficient. The ATH-M50, M80, and HD25-1 mk2 all have boosted bass, while the Koss proDJ100 despite its name sounds very neutral.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 18

After doing some initial research, I decided to give the m80s a shot. So, I went over to my local Radio Shack and picked up a pair. All I can say is "IMPRESSIVE." Not only is the sound quality excellent, but they might be the total package given the requirements I gave. 

First impression of sound: 
Impressive, warm tones and clear, punchy percussion. Excellent acoustics given the smaller on-ear style.  The headphones haven't been fully tested, but the initial clarity is encouraging. 

Portability:
Compact and convenient case, measuring around  7" long, 6" wide and 2"thick. The case could easily & safely fit into any backpack as well as large laptop bags and purses. 

Comfort:
Lightweight, soft pads, but the headband is a little tight....I think this might fix itself as time goes on.

Design (BONUS CATEGORY):
Kevlar cords don't tangle easily and are removable for easy storage. Inside the case are Velcro pouches that easily remove. These headphones come with two pairs of cords, all black and red&black. Cords have mics for taking mobile calls. Sleek and modern design.

I'd say the V-mod m80s are a great option for those looking for a modern-looking, portable substitute to an IEM at a mid-range price.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:

After doing some initial research, I decided to give the m80s a shot. So, I went over to my local Radio Shack and picked up a pair. All I can say is "IMPRESSIVE." Not only is the sound quality excellent, but they might be the total package given the requirements I gave. 

First impression of sound: 
Impressive, warm tones and clear, punchy percussion. Excellent acoustics given the smaller on-ear style.  The headphones haven't been fully tested, but the initial clarity is encouraging. 

Portability:
Compact and convenient case, measuring around  7" long, 6" wide and 2"thick. The case could easily & safely fit into any backpack as well as large laptop bags and purses. 

Comfort:
Lightweight, soft pads, but the headband is a little tight....I think this might fix itself as time goes on.

Design (BONUS CATEGORY):
Kevlar cords don't tangle easily and are removable for easy storage. Inside the case are Velcro pouches that easily remove. These headphones come with two pairs of cords, all black and red&black. Cords have mics for taking mobile calls. Sleek and modern design.

I'd say the V-mod m80s are a great option for those looking for a modern-looking, portable substitute to an IEM at a mid-range price.

Glad you like them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back