What is the output impedance of the little dot Mk3?
Dec 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Noob Meister Jr

Head-Fier
The only specs I can find for the LD mk3 indicate preamp output impedance of 600 ohm; I doubt this is the output impedance of the headphone out as 600 ohms is a lot. Some people say the ideal amps has an output impedance of 1/10 to 1/8 the headphone impedance, so I'm trying to see how well this device will pair with my cans.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 11
I used to own this amp. I emailed David at Little Dot with this exact question, and all he told me was that it was under 10 ohms. He didn't give an exact number. 

What headphones do you have? 

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 11
  I used to own this amp. I emailed David at Little Dot with this exact question, and all he told me was that it was under 10 ohms. He didn't give an exact number. 

What headphones do you have? 

Thanks for the reply. I have the 250ohm DT880. Trying to decide between buying the LD mk3 and the magni. Or an m-stage on ebay but i'm sceptical about that one.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 11
I used the MKIII with my 250 ohm DT-990. The LD is certainly capable of driving the Beyers well, but it depends on what kind of sound signature you're looking for. What are you looking for?

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 11
  I used the MKIII with my 250 ohm DT-990. The LD is certainly capable of driving the Beyers well, but it depends on what kind of sound signature you're looking for. What are you looking for?

I want to tame the sibilance but keep the rest as flat as possible. the 880 has a peak around 7.5 khz so i want to dampen that, and generally roll off the treble a bit too, just a bit.. don't tell me to use EQ though as i want to listen to vinyl, so no EQing will be possible

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 11
I've heard that Magni is brightish, so you probably don't want that. My LD didn't remove sibilance entirely, but it did smooth it out and tame it a bit. The LD also made the midbass somewhat warm and wet compared to my SS amp -- I guess I could also call it sloppy and boomy, but that sounds too negative. Just a thicker sound. 

You could probably get a vintage hardware EQ for a reasonable price if you want to. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 11

Wow. I hate to say it, but that sort of response always raises questions.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 11
S----- could be even better about it and release the actual measurements as "someone" did for ODAC.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 11
This is pure speculation, but maybe he didn't give an exact number because the output impedance fluctuates with respect to frequency. 

That's still a bad thing though. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 11
  This is pure speculation, but maybe he didn't give an exact number because the output impedance fluctuates with respect to frequency. 

That's still a bad thing though. 

You're right. I was only speculating that willful ignorance is cause for suspicion. 
biggrin.gif
 Best practices in commercial audio self-reporting are sub-par overall for a technical field.

I don't understand why companies would be concerned to release their measurements (provided they have measurements). If the product sounds very good, no one will care except for the inevitable detractors. I'm a little over-familiar with the "measurements" of eggnog ice cream right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back