What is the ONE Audio Card
Oct 16, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now, see this is where I'm completely confused about your attitude. You yourself point out several other cards that trump Creative in sound quality, and even mention the ASUS which you say is par in effects as well (and it too trumps the Creative in quality). So exactly why do you have a problem with people saying not to go with the Creative?

Again, you're the only person screaming. Never once did I call you a moron, so stop acting like I personally attacked you. But, yes, its just me thinking that you're over-reacting.
confused_face(1).gif

ok, sorry for flaming at you, its more the guy who made the title of this post ("some more good reasons to use Vista", dude, just get out, you're 15 and can barely speak english, just get out)

as far as ray-tracing and whatnot, yeah, CPUs can do it, but the actual Ray Tracing Processor that those german dudes developed WHIPS CPUs at performance (and its just an FPGA, although, if we went all FPGA, I wouldn't be that upset either)

I'm mostly upset with ignorance regarding Creative, I could care less what this tool ends up buying in the end (because he won't buy anything, he's a kid wanting to prod a flame war, he's won btw), Creative isn't some devil shaman that'll kill your family, and in terms of jack of all trades, the Prelude wins in my book because its the least expensive (Xonar D2X is very close in price though, not sure where the D2 is in pricing tbh)

one thing I found funny "1 to 128 channels of audio", in EAX 5.0 only, on X-Fi only, in 1 or 2 games that Creative pressured them into including the features in, only (unless I'm thinking 256, but that seems to astronomical)

Larrabee is Intel's big bet because Intel, like AMD, sees that the future is "combined" processing, if they wanna get market share back, and keep going the way they're going (they need more math pushed per second, clockspeed wasn't a continuous solution, the laws of physics are starting to tell them what they can and can't do building wise, and multi-core works but it gets too huge and expensive, the GPU/CPU hybrid route on the other hand is a lot more logical, like Sony's Cell, thats still far from "pure software rendered 3D")

my point is, specialized processors are ALWAYS more efficient, because they're customized for whatever task they're doing, however they're only more efficient in terms of speed, not neccisarily financial cost

as far as the CPU being a director for the GPU, it already is (it sets up more or less everything the GPU actually renders, at least in terms of geometry), the most cost effective and performance minded way to go is lots of cheap, fairly specialized processors, look at 3DLabs' Wildcat REALiZM series, or 3dfx's Voodoo series (nevermind that both companies are more or less defunct, the best technology can't solve poor management and bad market positioning), nothing was trying to be exceedingly complex, Cray machines were the same way until COTS hardware got cheap enough to make the Opteron farms viable

Intel is basically wanting to get to that, in a single chip solution, with their "128-core" parts, and whatever else they prance around at IDF, its a wonderful idea, but its far from doing everything in software (in a sense, it is all done in software, but the hardware is being altered and specialized to be capable of actually handling it)

btw, this is probably one of the most entertaining threads I've been in on head-fi, especially given what the original basis was (we're arguing system architecture, when the original child was asking for a good soundcard (just to start a flame war I might add))

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, sorry for flaming at you, its more the guy who made the title of this post ("some more good reasons to use Vista", dude, just get out, you're 15 and can barely speak english, just get out)

I wish I was..
You're right about english, it's my third language..

Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(we're arguing system architecture, when the original child was asking for a good soundcard (just to start a flame war I might add))

I didn't write anywhere that I had to buy any card.
The thread was closed on the 4th reply, it was you, who got mad..
As I see from your posts, you have a lot of time..

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but usually the gaming rig, is full of noisy fans, (even if you have liquid cooling system).
Theres no music, when the Raptors load..

Sho nuff. My rig is quite loud. Tried everything short of water cooling. Using mufflers, anti-vibration gaskets, sound proofing kits, and more. The best solution is to put the PC in the next room and drill holes in the wall for the monitor and audio cables. The keyboard and mouse are usually wireless and the printer is usually networked so then you're all set. That is unless you have thin walls.

* oh yeah, also get a USB DVD-R and a long cable so you can use your disks without getting up.

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #35 of 40
I can't figure it out either. The CPU fan is a factor in my case for sure but the biggie is the 4870. That card runs HOT and hums loudly when ever there is a load on it. Still an awesome piece of hardware. Time to water cool. The 8 hard drives and power supply with a 140mm fan run silent as far as I can tell.

As far as electrical noise getting outside of the box makes a big difference. Also keep your cell phone away from your gear or you get to hear that too.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't figure it out either. The CPU fan is a factor in my case for sure but the biggie is the 4870. That card runs HOT and hums loudly when ever there is a load on it. Still an awesome piece of hardware. Time to water cool. The 8 hard drives and power supply with a 140mm fan run silent as far as I can tell.

As far as electrical noise getting outside of the box makes a big difference. Also keep your cell phone away from your gear or you get to hear that too.

never had a problem with my phone and my gear

also never had an issue with electrical noise from the PC

as far as the 4870 goes, I've got the X2, and it isn't loud at all, I'd say you need to re-think airflow in your case, or invest in some better HSFs, water cooling isn't the be-all/end-all of cooling

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are a music fan, buy an old Laptop and connect it to a usb DAC, because with all the effort you can make, you cannot silence your gaming PC(especially at bedtime.)

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a music fan, buy an old Laptop and connect it to a usb DAC, because with all the effort you can make, you cannot silence your gaming PC(especially at bedtime.)

also untrue, and a horrible idea

first of all, laptops have terrible internal power stages, because they're built on the cheap in general

secondly, silent gaming PC's are not hard to do at all, its just a matter of airflow and a good enclosure

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #39 of 40
Sorry for the new tittle, I really hated the old one(Is the EP still the best)

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #40 of 40
Processing power on soundcards in Vista is a highly overrated necessity. I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic and also a USB headset so the processing is being done by the cpu alone and I can't tell the difference in game performance. I'm sure there is some if I was to measure it but like I said, a modern multicore cpu computer with Vista does not need a soundcard with massive processing power. That is too bad for Creative but good for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back