What is the most simple 'idiot-proof' dap around for someone's FIRST player?
Oct 10, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #16 of 42
Well, I would recommend my player, the RCA Lyra RD-2763FM 5GB Micro Jukebox, which I got from Amazon.com for less than $50, but it appears that they've sold out of them, which really doesn't matter for you, anyway.

I'd check eBay, possibly. I happy with my Lyra, which has 5 gigs, really great sound, and can be switched from MTP to MSC file protocol so that songs and directories can be dragged and dropped onto it without any other software.

Hope this helps.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Sony myself and I know it will be wasted on her, plus it's more than I want to spend.

In your original post, you said you'd go to $100. The 2GB Sony 6xx series (lesser earbuds, but includes the FM radio that's missing from the 8xx) is going for $99 at the Sony Style stores and site, at least that's the price in the U.S. True, it's at the top of your $ range.

You just missed a really good sale price from Target.com on the Muvo V100 2GB unit. It was going for $49. Now it's back up to $69, but that's still a good price for a brand name player (very small monochrome screen, though).

Here's another idea. Get yourself whatever new whiz-bang player you wish you had plus some fantastic new IEMs, and give your friend your Sony!
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #18 of 42
I would really recommend a shuffle, or if you're willing to add another 50 bucks, a 4G nano. The plus points are that they're really easy to use, huge support group if anything goes wrong (everyone else has one, lots of apple stores everywhere, huge presence on the net), and unless she's anti-apple,something that's also very new.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #19 of 42
Not a recommendation - just a consideration.

As a relatively low-tech person, the one thing I dislike about most DAPs is the micro-sized screens.

I like my Iaudio 7, but the screen could easily be 3 times bigger - I'd like it more.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #20 of 42
well my iriver ifp-799 is a couple years old.
and i'm still fairly happy with it.
with AA batterys it does seem big. but the upside is i always carry spares so i'm never outta music.

it's rugged for sure. my case broke over a year ago, and i use it daily and still no scratches. What is it made of?
blink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GimliLongBow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might toss the Sansa Clip into the mix, as well.

YES! THANK YOU. . . that's the ONE
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be perfect for her, plus the review says it has pretty respectable SQ (compared with Sansas before) and it has a decent enough screen too. It's much less that I'd planned to spend, though I suspect it will have doubled/tripled in price by the time it gets to Amazon.co.uk - but even so, I can get her some headphones to go with it now.

Well spotted - it's brand new isn't it? Excellent - thanks so much everybody for all your input. Your suggestions made it so much easier than having to trawl through editorial reviews. Thank you thank you thank you
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES! THANK YOU. . . that's the ONE
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be perfect for her, plus the review says it has pretty respectable SQ (compared with Sansas before) and it has a decent enough screen too. It's much less that I'd planned to spend, though I suspect it will have doubled/tripled in price by the time it gets to Amazon.co.uk - but even so, I can get her some headphones to go with it now.

Well spotted - it's brand new isn't it? Excellent - thanks so much everybody for all your input. Your suggestions made it so much easier than having to trawl through editorial reviews. Thank you thank you thank you
biggrin.gif

Glad you like it, and I hope it works for you. Yes, the Clip is new, but I think Amazon is about ready to ship. I don't remember a specific release date.

(My favorite part of the review is where Enzo used headphones that cost more than three times as much as the Clip. Gotta love it!)

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #26 of 42
I would ask you what your relationship with this girl is... I see a few options here:
1) She's a good friend and you have a lot of money so can afford to buy her an mp3 player
2) She's a best friend and you have enough money
3) She's a possible love interest

(I am of course assuming you are a guy
smily_headphones1.gif
).

if it's option 1, I'd consider a Creative Muvo with drag and drop option. They are very easy to use (however chances are she's going to end up with a lot of untagged music).

If it's option 2 or especially 3, I'd really consider buying a 3rd gen nano. If you can buy one used, that would obviously be ideal, but new they are 150 bucks. That might be way out of your price range, but if not, the new nanos have a great form factor and are a very sexy piece of gear. You can show her/explain to her about pod casts which are extremly easy to use. Plus, down the road you could buy her an iTunes music card.

Anyway, probably totally unhelpful, but that's what I'd do
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoelessone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would ask you what your relationship with this girl is... I see a few options here:

3) She's a possible love interest

(I am of course assuming you are a guy
smily_headphones1.gif
).

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
NO! At least not last time I looked in the mirror
plainface.gif

She's actually my sister-in-law (or she would be if I was married to her brother instead of cohabiting!).

But she helped me out a lot recently, and I just wanted to say 'thank you'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back