What is the most important part of a song?
Jul 10, 2001 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 22
Music has three parts that I like -- the beginning, the middle, and the end! (-:

No, seriously, to me, it has nothing to do with the fidelity. A good melody is pretty much adequate for me (too much of contemporary music has completely forgotten a sense of melody, all loop-based 'n' stuff). Grooviness is pretty nice, and yes, I would like it to sound good (and by that I mean creative production, not just a "sheen"). And interesting (in any way) and well sung lyrics certainly play an important role in my favorite pop music. But ultimately, it's the melody.

Jul 14, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 22
I picked percieved emotional intensity. The vocals are important, but really don't mean that much to me - if they aint offensive, whiny, stupid, or "hip," i don't care. Of course, i basically just ruled out all of pop and rap, and a lot of rock.

i say vocals are fourth for me. Third is the music itself. Second is the mastering, for as apheared said, poor mastering makes anything sound....poor. But first for me, by far, is the emotion.

For me, the music is all about emotion. Same thing with reading - probably that's why the only fiction i read is either controversial stuff no one wants to talk about or depressing russian authors. Like checkov....

Anyway.....a poorly recorded, but emotion-filled, recording works for me better than a well-recorded, gut-less POS piece of music.

Basically - i'd prefer Coltrane on a crappy minisystem over Britney Spears/Limp Bizkit/other weightless IMO crap on a Stax anyday.

Unless i get to keep the Stax.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:00 AM Post #18 of 22
Interesting how the two synesthetes on this board picked 'emotional intensity'.

I myself like the actual music and the beat and flow of the music. Almost all of the time I forget about any voices and lyrics, sure words come but I never pay attention to what they mean. It has always been plain music for me. To me, voices just become a part of the music.

I remember when I first started getting into music (music, not even equipment)... and I wasn't really interested in music for a long time, I am late I suppose... Around when I was 15 I didn't care for any music, because I didn't like the music that I always heard. It took me a while to find the stuff that made me enter the music world, and that gateway music were scream trackers and mods, no voices, music only. I am still very selective in my music choices but almost all of the time I like the music due to the actual music and flow and beat...

Enough of my talking.

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Enough of my talking.

chych - if i had half of the self-restraint you do, i'd post half as much as i do....
rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2003 at 8:57 AM Post #20 of 22
O.K. another great post with 18 responces that should have over 100. I voted for "Perceived emotional intensity". I believe all of the other factors combined is what creates musical emotional intensity. Although, I will admit I am a sucker for a beautiful midrange, or vocals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 22
If it's OASIS then for me it's the bit where it ends
biggrin.gif

Sound As Ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back