what is the most expensive part of a mp3 player?
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm guessing the most expensive part would be the screen.

You'd have to define "cheap" and "good."

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 16
i think we had this discussion a while ago. look at the iphone: production around 150 dollars but people "are willing / ready to give" 1500 dollars. so is is a 1 to 10 difference. however, one has to include all the engineering costs. but this is another story. the same goes for DAPs... when you search the wholesale prices for each piece, you will be shocked how "relatively low" they are. but again: it is the overall composition of this engineering masterpiece + customers' willing to pay that make up the price.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 16
i think we had this discussion a while ago. look at the iphone: production around 150 dollars but people "are willing / ready to give" 1500 dollars. so is is a 1 to 10 difference. however, one has to include all the engineering costs. but this is another story. the same goes for DAPs... when you search the wholesale prices for each piece, you will be shocked how "relatively low" they are. but again: it is the overall composition of this engineering masterpiece + customers' willing to pay that make up the price.
Don't forget production volume. You can't make a product equivalent of the iPhone with the same production costs as Apple unless you're Apple.

With that said the profit margin of some hifi stuff is probably massive just because people are willing to pay.

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 16
With that said the profit margin of some hifi stuff is probably massive just because people are willing to pay.
this is what i said. manufacturers know they can demand more than needed in this enthusiastic area where money and comparisons become "relative".

The most expensive parts of any MP3 players is the research and developments.
of course. this is why i said when putting R&D by side, the most expensive mechanical parts one can get and buy wouldn't be that expensive.

i also wonder why cell phones dont come with good dacs like the lg did
sony phones have the best dac inside with hi-res etc. - the sound of xperia 1 III for example is just amazing for a smartphone.

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Haven't heard one but I suspect a Hiby r2 is good fit here. There are other less finished players with cool parts but in practice finished products with proper OS's tend to sound better than a cool parts accumulation. Internet Radio and Tidal access at that price point aint bad either. In case some aren't aware, Hiby writes software for more than their own players.

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 16
Don't forget production volume. You can't make a product equivalent of the iPhone with the same production costs as Apple unless you're Apple.

Or Samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back