What is the most bass heavy KZ IEM of all...?
Feb 10, 2018 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nofacemonster

100+ Head-Fier
I have a problem with being sensitive to highs and i discovered it few months back. I've been trying all kinds of cheap IEM and Headphones since then and ended up with KZ ZS1 being the darkest warmest bass sounding IEM which i can keep listening for an extended period of time without feeling any fatigue. I was just thinking are there any more KZ IEM's like this one...? i came across KZ ZSE with double dynamic driver for a very cheap price. Will they be better than the ZS1?, if will greatly appreciate if anyone can point me in the direction i am looking at with confidence.

Also if there is any other recommendation please feel free to state it (other than KZ), it doesn't matter if your recommendation is over ear or iem.

Thanks a lot everybody.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 9
You started with the best of the bunch imo. KZ seems to have moved away from that signature with their newer stuff. ED3c isn't far off, if you can find one. It's been discontinued :disappointed:. ZS3 would be a decent alternative, but you're getting less bass, more treble, and they seem to be having some serious QC issues if the KZ thread is any indication. I definitely recommend looking at the Tiandirenhe TD08 if you want another bassy, smooth earphone like the ZS1. It's really the only thing I've come across that I'd consider a straight upgrade. Nice metal housings and a very similar signature, but with more detail and clarity. It's pretty kickass.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 9
You started with the best of the bunch imo. KZ seems to have moved away from that signature with their newer stuff. ED3c isn't far off, if you can find one. It's been discontinued :disappointed:. ZS3 would be a decent alternative, but you're getting less bass, more treble, and they seem to be having some serious QC issues if the KZ thread is any indication. I definitely recommend looking at the Tiandirenhe TD08 if you want another bassy, smooth earphone like the ZS1. It's really the only thing I've come across that I'd consider a straight upgrade. Nice metal housings and a very similar signature, but with more detail and clarity. It's pretty kickass.
Thank you for the reply. What about kz zs2?

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 9
I have tried zs5, zs3, zs5. The zs3 had a lot of bass and was dark compared to the others.

I already have these. KZ ATR, KZ ZS5, KZ ZS3, KZ ZS1. Out of all of them my favorites so far is in this order.

KZ ZS1 ~ Simply love its laid back bass signature
KZ ATR ~ this was my favorite until i got the ZS1
KZ ZS3 ~ Not bad out of the box but i gotta check it out, i haven't had much time with them.
KZ ZS5 ~ The most expensive of all my KZ's. It's good for certain types of music, i like grunge rock etc on them but not vocal jazz, blues and things i listen to relax.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 9

Thank you for the recommendation, i will try to get hold of what you recommended and give them a try.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 9
I already have these. KZ ATR, KZ ZS5, KZ ZS3, KZ ZS1. Out of all of them my favorites so far is in this order.

KZ ZS1 ~ Simply love its laid back bass signature
KZ ATR ~ this was my favorite until i got the ZS1
KZ ZS3 ~ Not bad out of the box but i gotta check it out, i haven't had much time with them.
KZ ZS5 ~ The most expensive of all my KZ's. It's good for certain types of music, i like grunge rock etc on them but not vocal jazz, blues and things i listen to relax.

One more that you might consider is the KZ ED7. The caveat is that you MUST have silicone eartips that have a 3mm collar. Silicone because foam will muffle the already dark-leaning sound signature. The 3mm collar because the ED7 nozzle has no lip to grip the eartip collar and the eartips will remain in your ear when you remove the ED7 from your ears.

If you have small ears then get the ED7 mini. A lot of people didn't like these for their dark signature but I found that it is one of the most tip-dependent IEMs I own.

Don't get it twisted, though, because these aren't as refined as KZ's latest and greatest, but I do like them. They're not a far cry from the ATR. Maybe a little more bass than the ATR.

Note:
First picture shows the Standard ED7 and the ED7 Mini.
Second picture shows the type of silicone eartips I use.
Third picture shows the lipless nozzle.

This is an excerpt from my original ED7 review:

The KZ ED7 is a standard barrel design variation of the new over-the-ear KZ ATR (see my review) which itself is a more refined version of Knowledge Zenith's ever popular ATE. The original ATE is a legend in its own time, not because the ATE outperforms higher tier IEMs, it doesn't. The wonder of the original ATE is that it seems to have an analog warmth to it that just draws you into yesteryear's tube amp-like experience for your cherished acoustic, vocal and jazz genres.

While I thoroughly enjoy Knowledge Zenith's original ATE, it is "not" my preferred sound signature. If you've read my review of the original ATE, you would have noted that, to my ears, the ATE has a somewhat darkish rolled off tone in the higher frequency ranges, which makes them an ideal choice for laid back genres, but not a top pick for energetic genres. The newest crop of KZ IEMs (ATR & ED7) share a more refined ATE sound signature. The rolled off treble on the ATE is now a comfortable laid back sense of detail on the ED7 and ATR. The slight dark tone to the mids of the ATE is now a warm, rich and detailed lush masterpiece of vocals and/or strings on the ED7 and ATR. Now, the ratio of sub-bass to mid-bass (40/60) on the ATE seems to be near perfectly balanced (50/50) on the ATR and 55/45 on the ED7. While technically the soundstage is the same width, the better extension in the highs seem to put more air or space between the instruments to varying degrees, which I'll explain in a moment. The imaging brings everything into focus on all three IEMs for a very natural presentation as if you are there in person.

The new ED7 and ATR with their further refined ATE sound signature appeal to a broader number of genres of music. Conventional wisdom dictates that "broadening the appeal" is a euphemism for trying to please everyone while you end up pleasing no one..... but.....but conventional wisdom holds no water here. The ED7 (ATR) is better than the original ATE. Particularly, the translucent brown ATE, as the silver ATE sounded much more like the new ATR (and by extension this ED7).

Enough! Let's focus on the ED7 for a moment. In my opinion the ED7 is two notches above the original ATE, which I do like. In fact, I have two pairs of the original ATE. This ED7, though. It's more refined and has better extension in the higher frequency ranges and a tighter presentation in the lower frequency ranges. The ED7 has slightly more bass than the ATR (which makes it more fun to me).

ED7 Basic sound signature:

Bass: Relatively clean with just a hint of softness that goes deep. This is one of the ED7's characteristics that contributes to its analog-like sound signature. Bass is north of neutral and compliments the ED7's cohesive and warm-leaning sound signature.

Mids: Somewhat centered, natural and lifelike.

Treble: To my ears the treble is neither emphasized nor rolled off. I find treble neutral with a hint of softness. As was the case with the bass, the treble compliments the ED7's cohesive and warm-leaning sound signature. If there is any lift to the treble it is negligible because I am not hearing it.

Soundstage and Imaging: Imaging is very good, but the soundstage is where the differences show up between the ED7 'standard' and 'mini' (and by extension the ATR) and the differences are due mainly to the driver housing.

What I mean is:
The shape of the driver housing.
The vents/ports in the driver housing.
The volume of unoccupied space inside the driver housing.

The bamboo ED7 (mini) has the smallest housing. This means less volume of unoccupied space inside the driver housing resulting in the entire presentation being more intimate and forward. There is little room for the sound to travel inside the housing so all of the sound moves forward through the nozzle. The soundstage width is the same on both (mini and standard), but there is less space between the instruments on the ED7(mini) and the soundstage depth is more shallow as well.

The ED7 (standard) has a larger bamboo housing. More space in the housing means more room for the sound to travel inside the housing as the sound moves forward through the nozzle giving the ED7(standard) more space between the instruments and more depth in the soundstage. The soundstage width is the same on both (mini and standard).

As a side note, the ATR, having a similar sound signature, has a slightly wider soundstage than either of the ED7's.

In essence what Knowledge Zenith has offered us is a warm sound signature with three different soundstage presentations. The ATR with the most airy presentation, the ED7(standard) having slightly less space than the ATR and the ED7 (mini) having less space than either the ED7 (standard) or the ATR.

While these differences are minor they are there. The small differences make a difference to me because sometimes the ATR can come across as dry, whereas the ED7 does not. The ED7 has simply more energy and it is why I prefer the ED7 (standard) over the excellent ATR.

Actually, the ED7 (standard) is the midpoint between the ATR and the ZS3. If you love the ZS3 but find it a bit too bassy at times, then the ED7(standard) is your perfect pick.

Soundstage : rated from airy to intimate.
ATR > ED7(standard) > ED7(mini)

Bass quantity: rated from most to least.
ED7 (standard) > ED7 (mini) > ATR

Mid-centric focus: rated from most to least.
ED7(mini) > ED7 (standard) > ATR

71lwXc874uL.jpg
61iT4xquBfL._SL1600_.jpg
61oFEEXADpL._SL1600_.jpg

Bottom line:

The reason to go for the (mini) is that the mids are slightly more forward than on the (standard). In addition, the (mini) will be more comfortable for smaller ears.
The reason to go for the (standard) is to have more fun with the bass and more soundstage depth.
The reason to go for the ATR is because it is the most neutral of the three.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 9
I own many pairs of kz iem‘s, and like them so far. But I switched to the sony MH 750. This cheap in ear really beats them all. I also have a MH 755, it comes with a blutooth dongle and has a shorter cable. Both, the 755 and the 750 have a warm, deep, smooth, detailed and brillant sound. Im glad to get the original ones on amazon. Heard about many fakes out there. I ordered the 750 in white to avoid getting a fake (its not 100% safe even in white) and got lucky with the original sony stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back