What is the Modern Face of Horror?
Apr 4, 2006 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
In another thread, I saw an interesting artwork brought up by Scrypt - since it would have been out of topic in that thread, I wanted to share my thoughts in a separate thread. What do you think is the Modern Face of Horror?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
So is Gustave Moreau's "Oedipus and the Sphinx" (the blankness of the face is a mask for an essence that is far worse than anything depicted in the painting directly):

moreau_oedipus+sphinx.jpg

It is interesting that this portrayal of horrific undercurrent masked by the "faceless face" proves that what comes around, goes around.

In modern times, such a face is almost the stereotypical "face" of horror. Gone are the primal "I look scary" faces of Dracula and Frankenstein (or "primate" face of King Kong).

Jason's Hockey Mask, the SCREAM mask, and the Dead Children of Japanese Horror Cinema portray the suspense and menace that is currently required to strike fear in the modern jaded audience - or at least mild discomfort.

EDIT- and Chucky was far scarier when he was a dead doll's face.

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 76
Interesting thread Jahn -

I agree that the shock value of the "scary" looking monster has passed and now the face of innocence when placed in ill context is far more ominous.

Look at how many horror film makers have tried to employ the use of children in menacing ways for these purposes. I remember how disturbing that was when I first say Pet Cemetery. Then you have films like 8mm that use the same tactics.

IMO the Modern Face of Horror is Evil calling itself good or convincing others it is good. The Devils Advocate did this well.

Apr 4, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 76
Apr 4, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 76
I didn't say "Faces of Death!"
eek.gif

BTW I agree, the innocent face is creepy, like in "Poltergeist" - "They're Heeeeere!"

But the blank face is even creepier imho!

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelconnor
There is but one face of modern horror.
trogdor.gif

Props to Trogdor...

The burnanator!

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
In another thread, I saw an interesting artwork brought up by Scrypt - since it would have been out of topic in that thread, I wanted to share my thoughts in a separate thread. What do you think is the Modern Face of Horror?

It is interesting that this portrayal of horrific undercurrent masked by the "faceless face" proves that what comes around, goes around.

In modern times, such a face is almost the stereotypical "face" of horror. Gone are the primal "I look scary" faces of Dracula and Frankenstein (or "primate" face of King Kong).

Jason's Hockey Mask, the SCREAM mask, and the Dead Children of Japanese Horror Cinema portray the suspense and menace that is currently required to strike fear in the modern jaded audience - or at least mild discomfort.

I don't get it. Nothing in the painting is frightening. Not the face of either character, not anything. They are not evil looking, or menacing or anything. It's a lovely painting, and I wouldn't mind it hanging in my living room.

To the point of this thread. I may have to agree that the "faceless face" is the stereotypical face of horror. That seems to be the look that film makers go for. I personally don't find it fearsome. To find something truly frightening in a person, I have to see the "evil" in their eyes. It's deep in the eyes, and I have seen it in a couple of people. Movies never show this because it cannot be faked.
Now ugly, that can be faked, and has been done so in many many scenes on Cspan.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
modern cinema:
haloween53yx.jpg

The first thing I thought of when I read "Face" in the thread title was The Shape. Good call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back