What is the minimum I need to do the D5000s justice?
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I have SR225s right now and I'm kind of bored with them.  I listen to a lot of rock, metal, acoustic, progressive rock/metal, and some jazzy type stuff.  I keep going back to the D5000s based on what I read from people who use them, but I don't know what I need to notice any difference from the SR225s.

I'd like to use them here on my desktop, but I don't know what the "bare minimum" would be.  The headphones alone are more then I feel like spending so that doesn't leave too much room for the amp.  I also doubt my DAP will sufficiently power them but I'm not sure about that either.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 4
From what I understand they're actually pretty efficient...something like an E7 would probably be more than enough.

I see your sig says you have an HM-601 though...?  That should be fine too...they really aren't that hard to drive.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Yep, I have an HM-601.  I was hoping they'd be enough to make the D5000s sound like a worthy upgrade.  As long as I'll be able to tell a difference from the SR225s I'll be happy, I figured even if they were driven well enough they might need some extra to "shine".

I might be able to justify a step or two above the E7, I see it's only $88.  What's the next step or two up?

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 4
Probably the E17 by Fiio. :p  But I do not believe it's out yet...to get much better than that you'll have to spend a lot more, if you want a DAC at least.  A good standalone amp is the O2, which can either be made DIY or bought from Jdlabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back