What is the key number or spec for a headphone that determines how loud it is?
Apr 12, 2003 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering but hhat is the key number or spec for a headphone that determines how loud it is?

is it frequency response? ohms?

Anyone know?

Apr 12, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Nikos
Just wondering but hhat is the key number or spec for a headphone that determines how loud it is?

is it frequency response? ohms?

Anyone know?

No, sensitivity expressed in dB/mW. The higher the number, the greater the sensitivity.

Apr 12, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 18
Like with loudspeakers it's efficiency (for headphones usually given in dB/mW). If you want to make sure that a headphone will play loud on an amp with comparatively low voltage swing, a high sensitivity (dB/mV) is also desirable.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 12, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 18
Sensitivity is only part of the issue. It is a measurement of a volume level at a given distance for a given amount of POWER supplied. Thus, your headphone impedance becomes an issue to determine how much power is generated for the output voltage swing your player is capable of (since Power = (RMSvoltage)^2 X (resistance)) . Thus a set of headphones with a lower sensitivity but also a lower impedance may sound louder than a set of headphones with a higher sensitivity but also higher impedance.
Make sense?
Now that being said, <apparently> small differences in sensitivity can have huge differences. Since it's given as a log value, a difference of 6dB is twice (or half) as sensitive! So for two sets of headphones, one at 16 ohms and 94dB(SPL) and the other at 32 ohms and 101dB(SPL) -- the 32 ohm is louder. But if the 32 ohm sesitivity is 99dB, then the 16 ohm is louder (not by much either way).

Apr 12, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 18
My Sennheiser HD-497's are....

32 ohms

and

112dB/mW

Are those good numbers for headphones I use on my 4x100 watt Optimus Amp?

Also I wanted to get PORTABLE Earphones that are as loud as these for under $40, is this possible?

I am just not sure I wanna usee my Senns as portable phones because they are kind of big altohugh I like the way they sound on my Sony Minidisc Portable (which is only 5mW).

The problem is normal earphones (CHEAP factory sony ones) are not LOUD enough on my MD--I like the LOUDNESS on my senns in my MD portable, it sounds very nice, clearer and louder!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I seen some reviews of the KSC-50, but I hear the sound leaks alot and the qualiuty of the highs arent that great.

Can anyone compare the KSC-50's and my Senn HD-497s in a portable environment when using them both for a 5mW Sony MD portable?

KSC-50 Specs: 60 ohms impedance, 101dB/mW sens
VERSUS
SENN HD-497 30 ohms, 112 db/mW

I want to get portable phones close to as loud as my SENNS but LOUDER and clearer than the KSC-50's....is this possible????

Apr 12, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 18
Db/mW will tell you how much power is required for the headphone to reach a specific sound level, but it will NOT tell you how loud the headphone will go before it distorts. Some headphones can reach louder levels than others. Only your ears can tell you that..........if they are still functioning, that is.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 18
Daniel422 hit the nail on the head. Sensitivity is only part of the picture. You also have to take into account impedance. Impedance ratings are an average so what can also make a difference is how much the impedance varies. This is almost never stated though so not really much of a consideration. Just make sure you keep an eye on both sensitivity and impedance. The higher the sensitivity the louder the perceived volume and the same goes in reverse for impedance, the lower the impedance the louder the perceived volume.

Apr 14, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 18
Im still kind of confused.....

How does this work with my two phones for example my SENNS and the portable ones I want to buy.....
------------------------------------------------------------

32 ohms

and

112dB/mW

Also I wanted to get PORTABLE Earphones that are as loud as these for under $40, is this possible?

I am just not sure I wanna usee my Senns as portable phones because they are kind of big altohugh I like the way they sound on my Sony Minidisc Portable (which is only 5mW).

The problem is normal earphones (CHEAP factory sony ones) are not LOUD enough on my MD--I like the LOUDNESS on my senns in my MD portable, it sounds very nice, clearer and louder!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I seen some reviews of the KSC-50, but I hear the sound leaks alot and the qualiuty of the highs arent that great.

Can anyone compare the KSC-50's and my Senn HD-497s in a portable environment when using them both for a 5mW Sony MD portable?

KSC-50 Specs: 60 ohms impedance, 101dB/mW sens
VERSUS
SENN HD-497 30 ohms, 112 db/mW

I want to get portable phones close to as loud as my SENNS but LOUDER and clearer than the KSC-50's....is this possible????

Apr 15, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Nikos
Im still kind of confused.....
32 ohms
and
112dB/mW

WHOA there!!! That amp rating is for a home theatre receiver, so 4x100W is what comes out of the speaker terminals at the back, not the headphone jack! A couple watts is enough to fry most headphones (which only need about 1/1000 of a watt = a milliwatt or mW)

You need to check the specs on your receiver for the headphone out. It should say an impedance and voltage, and you can probably convert from there. Most receivers have enough power for your Senns, there shouldn’t be a problem with volume.

Apr 15, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 18
lol thanks chilly, i didnt know this, ill check into it.

The question i want to know most is whats a portable EARPHONE, headphone i can get that goes will with my 5mW minidisc portable?

With my rinky dinky earphones they arent loud enough--but i want OTHER portable phones that will sound ALMOST AS LOUD AND CLEAR as my senns HD 497s would hooked up to the MD Portable?

Do you know of any chilly?

Apr 15, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
i think some people are confusing efficiency and sensitivity. there is a difference.

From a glossary of terms on JM Labs Website:

Sensitivity: Speaker systems are electro-mechanical to acoustical transformers which transform electrical signals into acoustical pressure waves with varying degrees of efficiency. A system's sensitivity rating corresponds to the sound pressure level obtained at 1m with a drive voltage of 2.83V across the inputs. The higher the efficiency of the speaker, the lower the power
needed to obtain a desired sound pressure level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back