What is the future of format war? new format after SACD?
Oct 13, 2005 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks SACD is the winner in the war between SACD and DVD-A. However, Sony will release Blue-ray next year and same as Toshiba which will release HD-DVD. Do you think there will be a high-end new format release later? If it is true, is it stupid to invest money on SACD? On the other hand, the market of vinyl start to expand again in past few years, is it a wiser decision to jump into vinyl instead?

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncledan
Looks SACD is the winner in the war between SACD and DVD-A.

Actually, I think CD was the winner in the war between SACD and DVD-A. Hell, I think vinyl outsold both formats combined.

I think it would be unwise to invest in either SACD or DVD-A at this point, as neither is showing signs of coming anywhere close to replacing redbook as the standard. I don't see jumping to vinyl as a wise decision either. Sure, there's plenty of good stuff already out/coming out, but the fact is (in my case) about 95% of the music I listen to is CD only. Blu-Ray seems like a nice idea, but I'm worried about copy protection and other nefarious "anti-piracy" measures that will come with it.

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 31
A number of studios have made a large commitment to CD, DVD-A, or SACD recording... I doubt they are interested in jumping ship any time soon. More likely, the Blu-Ray discs will simply carry much more of the same recordings per disc, locked in the industry equivalent of a chastity belt.

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch
Actually, I think CD was the winner in the war between SACD and DVD-A. Hell, I think vinyl outsold both formats combined.

I think it would be unwise to invest in either SACD or DVD-A at this point, as neither is showing signs of coming anywhere close to replacing redbook as the standard. I don't see jumping to vinyl as a wise decision either. Sure, there's plenty of good stuff already out/coming out, but the fact is (in my case) about 95% of the music I listen to is CD only. Blu-Ray seems like a nice idea, but I'm worried about copy protection and other nefarious "anti-piracy" measures that will come with it.

I don't think there is a reason for me to restate. I looked into SACD a few months ago and decided against it. I think the holding out is the right move.

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 31
99% there's not gonna be any new audio-only format in the future.. if anything, there will be HD DVD/Blu-Ray music titles in multichannel lossless 24/96 with some video content.. I especially look forward to live concerts - DVD-A sound quality + HDTV video, we won't get much further to real live events than this.. at least not in a forseeable future.. CD backward compatibility probably become non-issue considering broad support for mp3 and the likes in everyday devices..

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy_One
"jump into vinyl, since vinyl NEVER DIE!!!!"

Capitalized letters in "NEVER DIE", a vinyl-rig avatar - is somebody provoking any bias here?

Hehe, most of the Vinyl fans are hard-core.

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
99% there's not gonna be any new audio-only format in the future.. if anything, there will be HD DVD/Blu-Ray music titles in multichannel lossless 24/96 with some video content.. I especially look forward to live concerts - DVD-A sound quality + HDTV video, we won't get much further to real live events than this.. at least not in a forseeable future.. CD backward compatibility probably become non-issue considering broad support for mp3 and the likes in everyday devices..

This a certain possibility. There will not be a high resolution replacement for the Red Book CD format and there is absolutely no talk about replacing SA-CD or DVD-AUDIO with a newer audio format. As a matter of fact, HD-DVD and SONY Blu-Ray will simply be DVD-AUDIO and SA-CD repackaged into a new format that is capapble of high definition 1080p video on the same disc. However, the new security systems that will be mandated as a part of HD-DVD and SONY Blu-Ray will be even more formiddable than DVD-AUDIO and SA-CD because the movie industry knows that it is putting all of its eggs onto a one format and one disc solution that is priced to sell quickly within a few years after its introduction in the marketplace.

Right now, I would say that it is wise to invest in getting superlative Red Book CD performance for the next 5 years and stick with an upscaling 1080i/p standard definition DVD-Video player as well.

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 31
Let's say Blu-Ray becomes the storage format of choice, then all audio formats could simply become files with a different extension inside that disk. All audio formats, both lossless and lossy: DAC: AAC, mp3, SACD, CD+HDCD, DVDA might possibly be all decoded in one and the same multiformat DAC chip, or using software based decoders running on some standard audio-oriented chipset.

In that sense it's possible that none of the current audio encoding formats will die for quite some time.

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Let's say Blu-Ray becomes the storage format of choice, then all audio formats could simply become files with a different extension inside that disk. All audio formats: DAC: AAC, mp3, SACD, CD+HDCD, DVDA might possibly be all decoded in one and the same multiformat DAC chip, or using software based decoders running on some standard audio-oriented chipset.

In that sense it's possible that none of the current audio encoding formats will die for quite some time.

If you are correct, then the same is true with HD-DVD or SONY Blu-Ray: these become merely high capacity storage formats and a universal player is required to handle the multiple audio/video formats. I say that there will be a super universal player that can handle everything a standard definition universal DVD-Video player can do currently plus handle both HD-DVD and SONY Blu-Ray. However, it will be extremely expensive and it will take about 3 - 4 years to design, engineer, manufacture, and market...in addition to the marketing of HD-DVD and SONY Blu-Ray software titles. They'd all have to be on the ball and on the same page if this is to be successful or else they will have two strikes out with both DVD-AUDIO and SA-CD plus HD-DVD and SONY Blu-Ray combined. In this case, they equals the major Hollywood studios, recording studios, and hardware manufacturers.

That's a very tall order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back