What Is The Final Burn In Point For AKG701's?
Apr 20, 2006 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

GANESHA

Head-Fier
I have read between 300 and 450 hours to correctly burn in the 701's. I would like to turn my Amp off when I leave the house but I'm only at 250 hours and I'm impatient to hear them at their best. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 24
One guy claimed in the massive K701 thread (floating around here somewhere) that it continued to improve at 1500 hours!
eek.gif

At ~500 hours though it should be considered 99% burned in.

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I suspect my K701s will be fully broken in at some point. Until then, I will continue enjoying wonderful music between my ears.*
biggrin.gif

*Stopped counting at 300 hours

That's about where I stopped counting too.
340smile.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 24
I think its safe to say that burn in is part actual physical burn in and part "burn in" of your subjective experience. So listening to them while they are burning in is just as important as leaving them on over night.

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 24
Mine sounded pretty good out of the box but I am giving them 300 hours straight of mixed genres.

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 24
I honestly think these things are just so detailed it takes time to adjust and really get it. Mine are at about 200 hours right now and the only thing I've noticed (other than cleaner highs, which lost their scratchiness at about 30 hours), is a deeper "blackness" - is that the term?

Basically they are starting to sound really dead and neutral where they need to be. When they were new, any recorded silence in a track actually made me feel like I was underwater, or plugging my ears. Now, it's starting to sound like natural silence.

I don't know if that made any sense at all, so good luck deciphering it!
k701smile.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
4000 hours minimum

So, burning straight for about 6 moths should be good? I'm not sure if thats enough time for them to sound their absolute best.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
, is a deeper "blackness" - is that the term?

it seems like there is more "space" or seperation between instruments now that I have some hours with them. I only hope they improve more with a good amp.

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 24
darkninja67, since you seem to be one of the few who has used both the "new version" DT880 and the K701, I'd be very interested in your comparative comments. I'm currently considering one of these two for my first "all-purpose" high-end cans, to be used with Meier's new Corda Headfive amp.

Care to share?
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryB
darkninja67, since you seem to be one of the few who has used both the "new version" DT880 and the K701, I'd be very interested in your comparative comments. I'm currently considering one of these two for my first "all-purpose" high-end cans, to be used with Meier's new Corda Headfive amp.

Care to share?
biggrin.gif

I may be crazy but I prefer the 880s for classical (Vivaldi, Mozart, etc). Their treble seems to do justice to strings. Others will argue but I do prefer them over the K701s so far. My AKGs are not burnt in yet so final results may differ.

The K701s are great for jazz IMO. I love female vocals with this can as well. Diana Krall sounds incredible. I am waiting for some Norah Jones and Patricia Barber CDs to come. I ordered K701s after hearing them with Barber though a Singlepower amp. I had never heard anything like it before. Fell in love with the sound.

Oneday I will do a super review on my mid range cans with all types of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back