What is the favourite tube on your SOHA?
Sep 17, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #76 of 89
Well ... I read about a hundred times that those buffers improve the sound ...

But how do they change the sound?
Has anybody some before/after review or something?

I mean, why are they so great?

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #77 of 89
In my experience, they give more power and airiness to the music. Also, they do not mask what is before the op amp. So, you will be able to really hear the differences the tubes make.I wouldn't say it is a 100 percent improvement but for grados it gives the needed current to make the headphones go to there full potential.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #78 of 89
One thing I like about the SOHA is that you can change things to change your sound. I tried different power cords in mine and found the iron lung jellyfish to be the best cord under $20. I compared a standard computer cord, a volex, and the jellyfish. Tubes are another great thing to try. Once the JISBOS are available you should have a direct line to the music more or less without the coloring of the op amps.I would like to think that the JISBOS will bring me that much closer to the sound of a MELOS amp.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well ... I read about a hundred times that those buffers improve the sound ...

But how do they change the sound?
Has anybody some before/after review or something?

I mean, why are they so great?

Put simply, it's analogous to a 2-cycle chain saw engine compared to a Formula I high-rpm powerhouse. Strictly speaking, each (opamp vs. discrete Class A buffer) may be able to handle the puny constant load of a headphone, but one idles with much more leverage and power reserve. It is able to respond with explosive force to even the slightest of transients. This gives the music more depth, transparency, detail, and realism. As HJ also says, it ensures that even the smallest single electron of a signal passing through the tube gets passed to the headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #80 of 89
TOMB, you are so much better in explaining things.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #81 of 89
Ah, you guys here at head-fi are a curse to my purse
evil_smiley.gif

The only problem is that I have no space inside my case ...
I'm thinking of stuffing them in a small extra enclosure and put that to the backside of my case.
Maybe I'll make it look like a big heatsink...

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #82 of 89
Just build a new case.You can save the old one for a different project. That way you can twist all of your wires up too.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #83 of 89
No time to build new case.

University starts in about two weeks and I won't have time to do any woodworks before February next year.
I already have some ideas for fitting the buffers to the backside of my SOHA.

Btw.: With the OPA, the SOHA will become a SHA
icon10.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #84 of 89
Just wanted to say that people that are hesitant to get bugle boys and mullards for there SOHA's. You will be pleasently surprised if you do. So far the amperex gold globes made by blackburn that I have are the best tubes I have come across. I know there is talk about the low voltage not doing these tubes justice but I still feel that these tubes do sound better anyway. I wouldn't say go out and spend a 100 dollars or anything but 30 to 40 might be a good investment. I know I am going to get a bugle boy the next chance I get. I wouldn't spend over 40 though. That is just too crazy for any tube really.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #85 of 89
The result of my impulse buy from the ebay arrived.

They are used 12AU7s of mixed brands, some of them are quite heavily used, and bit off the balance. I was able to adjust it without whole lotta hassle. I do not find any microphobics from all 8 tubes. so that's nice. I think 4 out of 8 are quite good, other 4 are not bad, actually on good side.

- Zenith, short plate, rigged rib, halo getter. This one is exellent, sounds much like that of amperex PQ white label, which is one of the best out there.

- Raytheon, short plate, halo getter. Quite good. Strong bass, clear highs, and good seperation.

- RCA ClearTop side getter. fuller, warm and sweet sound. Easy to listen.

And, regarding RCA 5963 in question that ericj stated at 1st page of this thread... I have few of them too, and fortunately mine have no or little microphobic problem except one of them which is almost intolerable.
Soundwise... hmmm... let me state this way... I will not go back to this 5963 in question. Probabaly they are not original as ericj suspected.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best all around: GE 5963 (I have about a dozen of these - it's no fluke)
Best highs: GE 6680

Pretty d*mn good: Raytheon CK5814A, TungSol 5814A<snip>

Just wanted to thank tomb for his SOHA tube opinion summary...

Had been using the nice combo of GE 5963 & OPA2134 then got ahold of a good Raytheon CK5814A & using that w/OPA2107. To me, this new combo's presentation is more "exciting" & maybe punchier - exposing different aspects of my music (rock).
Although GE 5963 / OPA2107 maybe be more neutral w/less coloration & nicer for all sorts of music, I'm enjoying the CK5814A/OPA2107... Something to think about if one wants a different sound out of their SOHA.

Thanks again!

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #87 of 89
Hi, sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, but when you talk about rolling tubes, what do you mean...? And when you talk about using more than one type of tube, do you use them at the same time?
Cheers,
Chris

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #88 of 89
Quote:
Hi, sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, but when you talk about rolling tubes, what do you mean...? And when you talk about using more than one type of tube, do you use them at the same time?
Cheers,
Chris

From someone named "zandru" on another forum (don't blame me for the grammar and punctuation):

Quote:
Rolling, which was a roll of the dice or (shall we say) tubes for WWII radio operators who in order to keep their (manpack) field transceivers etc! in tiptop operational condition; would resort to rolling any available parts (including tubes) that they could scavenge during these unbearable times to maintain or even improve their equipments capabilities.We had the best communications network which helped us win the war. even without standardized hardware at first, It was up to our finest long haul field infantry radio jocks and all teachable personnel to keep their radio equipment in the best operational condition. Rolling was a common term used during those bleak times. After WWII, the terminology filtered down into the vocabulary of some small groups of TV, Radio & HI FI repair circles. A term that eventually fell out of fashion; only to be be reintroduced in the late 1980's; which has resulted in some of the most confusing and ambiguous interpretations within the last twenty years or so. bringing us all the way back to the substitution method, Before tube testers were commonly available. Which is from the (pre WWII) early days of radio, Then leading up to PP OP Tube rotation; all the way up to multiple variety type; full complimented Russian roulette setups for the insanely wealthy . And let us not forget our hordes of Receiver, Driver, Preamp Tubes all waiting on deck (with a roll in mind) to feed on our insatiable listening fetish.

In simplest terms, it's swapping out one type of tube for another that may sound better - or the journey in trying to find a tube that sounds the best could be termed "tube rolling."  It's analogous to swapping out opamps in solid-state circuitry, but with tubes - even different brands of the same tube type may sound different, much less different tube types.  As with opamps, there are some tube types that may work in your amp, but others that won't.  There are databases on line that give functional equivalent lists of tube types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back