What is the endgame in the flat realm ? What about a flat response headphone ranking ? What about a club or something ?
Nov 15, 2016 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zareliman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi headfiers:

I consider myself a flat response headphone enthusiast, I prefer them as flat as possible (unlike females).
I just prefer my audio to go as untouched as possible from binary to soundwave in the most accurate way possible (I don't own analogue sources).

Now I've tried a couple of headphones considered flat myself, the ATH-M40x, SRH-440, Tascam TH-02 and Sony MDR-7506. All of this headphones are below $100 and they're pretty much endgame for me. While going from the TH-02 to the M40x is probably an upgrade in terms of build quality and features, one can't objectively say the M40x actually sound much better (or worse), they're marginally different and practically as flat.
And beyond the M40x and SRH-440 what do you get ? The M50x and SRH-840 deviate from their flat little brothers to do stuff to the sound (which you might like) but ultimately make them less accurate to the source. I haven't heard a lot of higher end products ($200 and above) but to me it seems its like they all start deviating from perfect flat to achieve wider soundstages and that kind of stuff which, in the end, is something that a DSP also does, an eq that alters perfect flat.

What do you think guys ?
Are really the endgame flat headphones at the $100 range ?
Should we make a ranking or top 10 ?

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 14
The problem with closed headphones is their midrange will almost always exhibit closed-can coloration, and not sound natural.

For something that cheap, to get the flattest response, probably HD600 or K612 Pro.  I actually think HD650 is the flatter sounding headphone throughout the midrange than the HD600, but just need to pair it with the right amp so there's no roll-off in the highs or boost in the mid-bass.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 14
  The problem with closed headphones is their midrange will almost always exhibit closed-can coloration, and not sound natural.

For something that cheap, to get the flattest response, probably HD600 or K612 Pro.  I actually think HD650 is the flatter sounding headphone throughout the midrange than the HD600, but just need to pair it with the right amp so there's no roll-off in the highs or boost in the mid-bass.

The problem I have with open cans is exactly the opposite, the exhibit open-can coloration, they're like wider than reality sometimes. I guess people like to exacerbate positional and imaging aspects of music because nowadays most stuff is recorded with small microphones near the instrument, there's no space or locations really and if you can hear them, they're simulated or artifacts of the mastering.

Anyway, since I cannot test every single pair of headphones I want I've been checking this samples:
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test
The HD650 all sound like diluted to me in comparison to the original track. Whereas the M40x or TH-02 sound almost identical to the source. K612 is not there, nor HD600, for a fair comparison. All the senheisers I've checked do stuff to the music (it sound's real nice on some) but ultimately they all seem to deviate from the original sample.
I'm going to have to check some of those physically.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 14
I don't know if these are flat, but maybe you should try them:

Creative Aurvana Live
AKG 240/553
Sennheiser HD280/518
Hifiman RE400
Etymotics stuff
Koss Porta Pros

You should consider something like the Grados/Alessandro too. Sometimes a natural sounding sound is more lifelike and realistic than flats IMO. Also consider upgrading to Sennheiser HD600/hifiman HE-400s, totally worth it!

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 14
In the $100 range, the AKG K240 seems popular among producers. So it should be neutral enough.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 14
HD650 is very uncolored throughout the midrange, which is the hardest region to get it right IMO, but you'll still have to EQ it in the bass and treble to get it completely flat sounding.  It's going to be basically impossible to get a completely flat headphone from the lowest of bass to highest of treble without some form of digital processing.

I'm not sure I quite understand the wider than reality thing.  HD650/600 at least have really narrow soundstages, narrower than some closed-backs.  My comment about closed-cup coloration isn't a soundstage issue, but a frequency response issue.  You can hear the effect really well on open planar magnetics, where if you put your hands over their cups, you'll hear their midrange become colored and lose warmth, because of all the acoustic cancellations going on as a result of the reflections.  

Oppo PM3 is another really flat sounding headphone through the critical midrange that I'd like to add, but you'll have to EQ its treble up about 3db from 6khz and up.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 14
I don't know if these are flat, but maybe you should try them:

Creative Aurvana Live
AKG 240/553
Sennheiser HD280/518
Hifiman RE400
Etymotics stuff
Koss Porta Pros

You should consider something like the Grados/Alessandro too. Sometimes a natural sounding sound is more lifelike and realistic than flats IMO. Also consider upgrading to Sennheiser HD600/hifiman HE-400s, totally worth it!

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna need a new amp though at least for the AKG or the Hifimans, the specs make them look like they'd enjoy around 500 mW for the peaks.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 14
   HD650/600 at least have really narrow soundstages, narrower than some closed-backs.

Their soundstages are quite natural, as opposed to the larger than life ones. Soundstage is in the recording, not created or exaggerated by the headphones, or it shouldn't be, anyway.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 14
I am surprised no one mentioned dt880 when talking about flat fr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thing makes or breaks other cans

"hmmm this is a good can"

"hmmm this can sucks"

defo defo great

a lot of research , says the dt150 might be even better, but i have not heard, only 100 which app os different beast altogether

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #14 of 14
I am surprised no one mentioned dt880 when talking about flat fr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an owner of the trio (HD600/K702/DT880) I can say that it is the flattest or most boring due to having the worst (accurate?) mids. However, it's comfort level is much better than the other two and is built like a tank.
A second hand ones could certainly be fetched somewhere around the $100 mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back