What is the different between Grado PS-1 and RS-1 headphone?
Aug 3, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsm
What about Grado RS-1 headphone match grace design headphone amp? Can this match better than Stax omega II headphone with Stax 007 solid state headphone amp?

No dynamic headphone can match the Stax Omega 2
wink.gif

The PS-1 is a nice improvement over the RS-1 but there is definitely a close relationship between the two. I think of the PS-1 as an RS-1 on steroids. What the PS-1 does is solve some of the issues that I have with the RS-1, like some odd resonances and some harshness in the treble. The PS-1 tightens up the bass nicely, but it has to be carefully matched to the rest of the system to make sure the bass isn't exaggerated.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #17 of 47
can i just pipe in and say i would take either? *slinks away*

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
225=rs1
325=ps1

thats how i firgure it, cant stand the 225's and the rs-1's, Trust me i tried and tried.

but i love the 325's and i like the ps-1.

Hmmm. I disagree.

PS-1 has more of 225 than of 325. (I have PS-1 and 225, used to live with 325 for a while).

325 is way brighter and has less control in the bass region than 225. Anyway they 325 and PS-1 are brothers in terms of weight.
blink.gif

IMHO

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg
Hmmm. I disagree.

PS-1 has more of 225 than of 325. (I have PS-1 and 225, used to live with 325 for a while).

325 is way brighter and has less control in the bass region than 225. Anyway they 325 and PS-1 are brothers in terms of weight.
blink.gif

IMHO

I agree with ya but there is a muddy sound off the 225 and the rs-1, I am sure its my ears that hear it. the 325 and the ps-1 have the weight

i would say we both can agree..lol

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
How much weight the PS-1 ? Do you remember...? I think that is the heaviest headphone ever made... (open).

Best!
Nicola

The PS-1 are 370g

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I agree with ya but there is a muddy sound off the 225 and the rs-1, I am sure its my ears that hear it. the 325 and the ps-1 have the weight

i would say we both can agree..lol

Yes, 225 and rs-1 are muddy, and also 225 is harsh at times. But still they're a great value for the money. As the PS-1 is.

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 47
I don't get it. The SR225s were the first cans I bought for more than 100 bucks. "Muddy" was the last thing that came to mind when I heard them. Are you guys saying "muddier" as a comparison to the higher priced ones?

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 47
my hp-1's have awesome bass but how does the hp-1 bass compare to the ps-1 bass

i don't know how much my hp-1 weighs and dont have a balance here to measure.... anyone know how it compares to 370g?

i want a ps-1

mmmmmmm ....... ps-1 </homer voice>
(*drools*)

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 47
your hs-1's beat the ps-1's on rarity at least... just be happy with that and enjoy the full wallet
blink.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
I don't get it. The SR225s were the first cans I bought for more than 100 bucks. "Muddy" was the last thing that came to mind when I heard them. Are you guys saying "muddier" as a comparison to the higher priced ones?

It's relatively muddy even in it's price range. In comparison with HD580 for example. But still I find 225 much more enjoyable than HD580/600.

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
your hs-1's beat the ps-1's on rarity at least... just be happy with that and enjoy the full wallet
blink.gif

there are several hundred HP1's that were made... so far only 50 or 60 PS1's were made looking at the serial numbers.

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #27 of 47
yeah, but the ps-1's are still in production and I wonder how many of the several hundred hp-1's are in mint condition?

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 47
Well I have all three at home right now (RS-1/HP-1/PS-1). I would say that overall the HP-1 is the superior phone. This is a preferences thing. Though I'm not alone here at least.

PS-1 bass is bumped quite a bit, it is tighter than the RS-1 but only marginally and I attribute this to the metal vs. the wood. The sound is unbelievably smooth and liquid. Best sound in this regard I have ever heard. Beagle believes this is due to the destressing of the driver as compared with the RS-1 that only has say..two coats or whatever. I would agree with him.

The weight is substantial with the PS-1's but I don't mind this at all. I actually like it, as I do like the HP-1's (though they are lighter). RS-1's however are a pleasure to dawn after having those heavy brutes on for an extended period of time.

As for the highs, the PS-1's take care of the sheen or hint of brightness from the RS-1's as well as attenuate or better yet, eradicate the Sss sound that can be heard with RS-1's. For these reasons alone I would buy the PS-1's.

What I like about the RS-1's: tone and body for woodwinds and strings. For me, no other headphone matches them in this regard. The R10's coming close but falling short because of that odd fake sound due to their closed design. (for me at least). I also like their price. Used - about $400 USD. Not bad at all.

What I like about the PS-1's: liquid sound, wonderful highs. Bass is too strong with most recordings when using my premium tubes but if I swap them for a thinner european tube this attenuates the bass and they are truly magical. For those with SS amps and no possibilty of a lot of rolling of opamps (I find them to be less effective at tone controls than tube rolling anyway) then you may find them to have too much in the bass.

I find they both have the same level of detail though with the more bloated bass of the RS-1's (in comparison, one would hardly call it bloated in comparison with other cans...) the detail can be obscured (as I have commented on when comparing between HP-1's and RS-1's and now too with the PS-1's and RS-1's.)

Are they worth double the retail? Not for me personally...not when I already own the RS-1's and HP-1's. I find the HP-1's to be my prefered sound all around (Better bass control and tone, flatter sound, more transparent) but that is just me. I enjoy lots of PRaT. All Grados have this in spades. I also enjoy a palpable sound, a lot of *snap* to my notes. HP-1's do this better than any phone I have heard to date, save for perhaps the Ety's (though very fast and with a palpable sound, it simply fails to match the equivalent in the open designed phone).

My third most desired outcome is wonderful tonal balance for strings and woodwinds, this is my main reason for keeping the RS-1's around. They just do it better to my ears.

Anyhow, to each his own I suppose. Some will be fortunate enough to own all three.

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #29 of 47
Great comments Zanth, but damn you now your making me want to try HP-1000's.
mad.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 47
I know the RS-1 well and have tried the PS-1. They're both very similar, which one to prefer is really a matter of taste. The PS-1 sounds cooler, more analytical, while the RS-1 is tonally richer. As for the price - if the PS-1 is your thing, the premium over a 1200$ RS-1 in Germany may be appropriate. Compared to the 700$ you can get the RS-1 for in the US, it's simply insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back