What is the diameter of a quarter?
Jun 17, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #16 of 22
If you are interested in punching clean holes through foam rubber materials, try a scrap piece of electrical conduit tubing. File or grind the OD sharp, put the part about to become hole-y between the tube and a block of wood, and give the tube a good whacking.

Ever see those CD player belts made of wetsuit material? The above trick is good for "access holes" so you can operate the thing without resorting to braile. Please remove the CD player BEFORE punching the holes.....

Good hardware stores, NAPA, etc.. carry gasket punches in various diameters for a few dollars - and they last longer than conduit.

Jun 17, 2003 at 9:21 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Yeah I guess I didn't make myself clear, as it's the boominess of the bass I want to lessen a bit, whích is what you refer to as bloat? How could I try to lessen that, if that's even possible without modding the holy crap out of them?
wink.gif

Well, it depends on how you define "modding the holy crap out of them."
very_evil_smiley.gif
You could look for some replacement pads that would keep your ears a little bit farther from the drivers. Something like these pads would probably work well.

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:10 AM Post #18 of 22
Thanks for the ideas to make better hole in the pads, because I will probably make another pair for backup.

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:11 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Lando
Well, it depends on how you define "modding the holy crap out of them."
very_evil_smiley.gif
You could look for some replacement pads that would keep your ears a little bit farther from the drivers. Something like these pads would probably work well.

Would a mod like that also strengthen the treble? Because I sure wouldn't want that as it was too shrill for my taste using the stock comfies.

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #20 of 22
Based on what people have said, I get the impression that the treble rolls off slightly with a mod like that.

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #21 of 22
BTW has anyone had any experience with how the sound of a pair of SR60 might differ with the modded Senn pads depending on how large the hole in the pad is? And if I make the hole large enough to show the entire driver, would my ears touch the driver itself instead of fully resting on the pads?

Jun 18, 2003 at 12:38 PM Post #22 of 22
Ok I just made bigger holes without any to me discernable difference to the sound except maybe a slightly wider soundstage, but it's so small I might just be imagining it. I did find a great object to use when cutting the foam to get a perfect size on the hole to only show all of the drivers but none of the black edge around them. It's the cap of a Finesse volume foam which is light-blue and transparent, so I can easily keep track of how I'm doing, for example whether the foam inside the cap is staying put while I cut etc. The outside diameter of the cap is 34mm for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back