What is the diameter of a quarter?
Jun 16, 2003 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TMC

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes this does have to do with headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
I've just got the Grado SR60 today and I find the bass a bit too boomy using the comfy pads or the Senn pads without modding. So I have these funky yellow Sennheiser pads and to mod them you put a hole the size of a quarter in the middle, but the thing is: I live in Sweden and don't have any quarters here! So if anyone can measure the diameter of a quarter and write it here it would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 22
The scary thing is that I actually remember this for some reason - 15/16" I believe, which is about 2.4 centimeters for all you metric people.

Good luck with the mod.

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

I'm without clue, since I nor have a SR-60 or Senn pads, but I think making a hole the size of a quarter is measuring the radius from center to perifery (sp?) and take a quarter of that length and cut that length in the distance from the center ? I'm tring to describe something very simple, but it seems rather hard

LOL - actually the "quarter" in question here is a coin of US currency - 25 cents (quarter dollar).

-dd3mon

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
LOL - actually the "quarter" in question here is a coin of US currency - 25 cents (quarter dollar).

-dd3mon

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Just realized... So the other ost is deleted so no-one will destroy some good velour-pads

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 22
find a shot glass, bottle cap, anything round which approximates the INNER diameter (but outside the cloth) of the grado driver and use that to press down on the senn pads while you cut with an exacto knife.

what's the size of a quarter? about 1/4 loaf of bread.

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 22
Well the deed is done and the bass is a little bit tighter, but more noticably the treble has been tamed. So all in all a good investment of $8 for the pads and a few minutes with a sharp knife. And they look kinda 70's with the yellow pads if you're into that
wink.gif
Me I'm not so sure, maybe I'll have to invest a few more bucks on some dye.

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
find a shot glass, bottle cap, anything round which approximates the INNER diameter (but outside the cloth) of the grado driver and use that to press down on the senn pads while you cut with an exacto knife.

what's the size of a quarter? about 1/4 loaf of bread.

I found a one euro coin that was 23mm across, and stretched when mounted on the phones the inner edge of the pads just show the first circle of small holes of the grid. Will the bass lessen if I increase the size of the hole on the pad a bit more? The bass is still a bit too boomy I think. Frankly I don't understand why people think the SR60 has no bass, I think there's too much of it with stock pads
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 22
TMC,

the bass will not lessen no matter how big or small you make the hole.

that's not bass, that's bass bloat you're hearing. the only thing i can think of to lessen the bass would be to have many 0.5 cm holes around the diameter OUTSIDE the driver body (pressure vents). but then you'd end up buying another set of pads if it doesn't work out. i find that to lessen bass, the pad must be pulled away from touching the ear. to do that you'd have to support the pad from behind the ear (the beer holder mod, noted elsewhere). so long as the driver/pad touches and rides upon the ear, the bass should be maximised.

Jun 16, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 22
Yeah I guess I didn't make myself clear, as it's the boominess of the bass I want to lessen a bit, whích is what you refer to as bloat? How could I try to lessen that, if that's even possible without modding the holy crap out of them?
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 22
I guess a little boominess in the bass doesn't hurt in some cases. I've been listening to some of my rock cd:s like P.O.D. and Linkin Park and for this kind of music it actually sounds pretty good. I guess I'm starting to see why people have separate headphones for different kinds of music, but I'm not going to pursue that track anymore because it's far too expensive
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 22
Someone once posted that to get a hole that's not ragged, use a socket from a socket wrench, place it on the center of the pad (on a hard surface) and give it a good whack with a hammer. IIRC, pictures of the finished project were posted and the holes were nice and clean.

Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back