What is the dap with the best sound stage?
Aug 2, 2007 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

big_lou

Head-Fier
iRiver's? Kenwood? Sony? Any others?

Would we willing to sacrifice some extreme detail and resolution for a somewhat warmer and spacious signature.

Thanks in advance!!

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 13
zune - depending on the headphone as well. Separation is quite good with zune. As for Soundstaging, most DAP will be similar - at least not with the help of external amp.

You want to go all the way? iMod + Amp or iRiver H140 + DAC + Amp will be the answers

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would we willing to sacrifice some extreme detail and resolution for a somewhat warmer and spacious signature.

I've got a Kenwood HD10GB7 (selling soon) and 2 sony players, 706 and 808. They all have quite a wide soundstage, but the soundstage is reduced somewhat depending on the headphones used. I had the Shure E4G's which made the soundstage seem much more congested, but I didn't have that problem using either the SE210s or SE310s or CX300s. The Kenwood and 706 both have a 'warm' and 'spacious' signature, with the 808 being much more analytical and detailed, almost too 'crisp' without a lot of EQing, but with the same wide soundstage. No experience with iRiver so can't comment on that

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 13
1. Ebay since it is discontinued. Or the For Sale forums here.

2. Of course, YES!

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks in advance!!

Warm you say? Sony it is.

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Trekstor Vibez, but other ingredients of its sound signature are unacceptable for me. I don't care for the soundstage alone. iRivers ifp/ihp have got comparable soundstage and overall much better sound. Try them. Also, ifp/ihp perform very well when amped (read: their headphone out does not deteriorate on high impedances like amp input).

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 13
iAudio 7 allows very good soundstage adjustment in its jet effects. You do have to be careful though because if you go out too wide it will effect SQ. But with adjustment it sounds great.

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iRivers ifp/ihp have got comparable soundstage and overall much better sound.

sorry to hijack this thread..
what's your EQ setting?
just to make some measuring point, i own a ifp-795 too
(great sound, tough it hangs whenever i push the joystick too often,
then it had to boot around 20-40times until it boot properly..
frown.gif
)

Aug 4, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 13
Ive been extremely impressed by the Zune (for portable listening).

My Brother has the brown zune with a set of 6i's and it sounds much better than that comming out of the headphone prot on a regular iPod.

I switched to using the dock connector exclusively and now that sounds better than his.

*BTW: We got my Dad a Zune for fathers day and now he takes it with him everywhere. Granted he is still using the standard buds that came with it, but at least they are better sounding than the stock in the iPod...

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Rockbox has a stereo width option. I have it set to 136% (100% is the default) on my h320 and my UE SF3's and it works like a charm! It also has a very precise EQ and has customizable crossfeed and crossfade, which I also take advantage of. GO ROCKBOX!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back