what is the cheapest way to make my own interconnect?
Apr 4, 2002 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bubblegummy

Head-Fier
Hi there!

I'm wondering if someone could let me know what is the cheapest way to make myself a good quality interconnect from the source to amp (mini-mini). I heard about homegrown audio silver wire but I'm not sure which one to buy. What is the "better than average" mini plug that is available? My budget is only $50 or maybe less.

Thanks for any input.

Apr 4, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I would reccoment that design only if you won't be moving them around much. They work great, but they may not stand up to repeated dissconection/connection, and using them for a portable setup is just a bad idea.

Apr 4, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, that sounds like a very good idea to me. But, I want to make one interconnect for my portable setup also. Any idea?

BTW, when making Interconnect, should I use 30 gauge wire or thicker one?

thanks

Apr 5, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Use the smallest wire that you have, 30awg is proably it.

Apr 5, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm not sure where to get good connectors. A cheap thing to try for the wire would be the wire wrap wire sold at radioshack. Silver plated copper wire, with kynar insulation. It is pretty tough stuff, and only 30 AWG. Kynar is a pretty good dielectric, although teflon would be better. It will hold up pretty well (mechanically) since that is what it is designed for. It will sound a bit bright though. Just make a simple three wire braid and solder to the conncectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back