What is the cause of this?
Feb 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

p0wah

New Head-Fier
Hey,

So i have Sennheiser HD 558 into Asus Xonar DG and when i listen to music at around 90-100% volume (I know you shouldnt really listen to music this loud alot!) it feels as if the volume levels keep changing slightly, why is this?

Thanks

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Simple, but are the songs switching? Different recordings can be different volumes, so that when a song switches you think that the volume changes but in reality it's the recording.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 7
  Simple, but are the songs switching? Different recordings can be different volumes, so that when a song switches you think that the volume changes but in reality it's the recording.

No, i mean like, during the song... when there are some vocals it seems as though the volume goes down slightly but when the vocals stop and its just instrumentals it turns up again. Not by much but it is noticeable 

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 7

No, i mean like, during the song... when there are some vocals it seems as though the volume goes down slightly but when the vocals stop and its just instrumentals it turns up again. Not by much but it is noticeable 

How badly is the volume swing? You sure it actually is changing? Because that can just be psychoacoustics. Your mind shifts to focus on vocals as our ears are most sensitive at around 1khz and our brains are most primed to hear the human voice in that same range. It's the key to our adaptation and survival as a species because it's important to listen and coordinate as a society, from the Senate floor (no matter what happened when the US Fed shut down) right down to having to hear, "cavalry! halt, lock shields! diamond...as one!" and "on me.....chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge!" over the sounds of clashing bronze armour/shields and iron spearheads/swords. We wouldn't even get there if we didn't get past "sabretooth tiggeeeeerrrr!!! rrruuuuuuuuuuuuunnn!!!"

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 7

How badly is the volume swing? You sure it actually is changing? Because that can just be psychoacoustics. Your mind shifts to focus on vocals as our ears are most sensitive at around 1khz and our brains are most primed to hear the human voice in that same range. It's the key to our adaptation and survival as a species because it's important to listen and coordinate as a society, from the Senate floor (no matter what happened when the US Fed shut down) right down to having to hear, "cavalry! halt, lock shields! diamond...as one!" and "on me.....chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge!" over the sounds of clashing bronze armour/shields and iron spearheads/swords. We wouldn't even get there if we didn't get past "sabretooth tiggeeeeerrrr!!! rrruuuuuuuuuuuuunnn!!!"

The swing is not that bad, its definitely changing and its rather annoying to be honest. That makes sense it could be that i guess, damn adaptations! :frowning2:

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 7

Just out of curiosity, what are your music files encoded at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back