What is the best wire to make a set of high-end RCA's?
May 27, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
they polish it with snake oil.

Pfft whale oil is the way to go.
In all seriousness, if you want something that sounds like a 2 or 300 dollar set of cables, find ones you like the sound of cos they are all made differently. some will be straight copper, some will be plated with silver or something else, and they all have a different sound. Find one you like, find what it's made of, and then I'm sure someone will have an appropriate list for you. Sorry for being so vague.

May 27, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan
I want to make a real nice set of RCA interconnects. What wire should I use? What do they use in the $300 1 meter kind of interconnects? thanks

copper/magnet wire or silver wire, silver plated wire and gold alloy, take your pick.

May 27, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 8
Where can I get some cable with solid copper conductors? as opposed to using copper strand. I don't think I like the sound of silver from my experience with it.

May 27, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 8
Coax cable is a great source for solid high purity copper.
wink.gif

Here is a great tutorial that explains a lot of the snake oil to you:
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/cables.htm

May 27, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 8
actually most coax I've come accross is tin plated. not good.

Cat5e network cable comes in hardcore flavours which would be my choice. You can also get them with teflon coatings nowadays. They make a great cheap source of teflon coated pure stranded or solid core copper. Wires are 24AWG so skin effects are no problem either.

May 27, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 8
silver plated wire from ebay is what a lot of DIYers use as well as starquad. Each can be had for about 35¢ or less a foot. Nice, cheap and good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan
Where can I get some cable with solid copper conductors? as opposed to using copper strand. I don't think I like the sound of silver from my experience with it.

also check ebay for solid copper wire... I just picked up some 24awg solid core copper from there. as for other sources there is Take Five Audio (prices are listed in Canadian so it is actually a bit cheaper for us), Handmade and some others if you check the the "Big list and rules" part of the DIY forum here .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back