What is the best way to copy my music from my cds to my mp3 player?
Aug 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ilmenaglar

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Since i bought the Monster pro Coppers ive noticed that the music i have (most of them 128kbps) sound like cr ap lol. I want to get the best out my headphones and player so, what is the best way to do this? I use music match to rip my cds. What options should i put? how do i get that "flac" or loseless songs out of my cds? 

If im correct each song should be around 40 megas in space right?

Im kinda new at this.

thanks

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm not an expert at PDPs but I think it would be helpful to know what kind of player you have. Will your player recognize lossless?

Windows Media Player will rip to WMA & WAV lossless files. I don't know how much space they take but 40mb seems like a lot. A typical 4/5 minute song ripped at 320mb takes about 5mb.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 13
thanks for answering. Yes, the player i have does play lossless. Well that's what i read, its the Sony NWZ-E354. Correct me if im wrong.

Well yeah, at 320kbps a 5 min song would be like 6 mb. Only once i copied my Within Temptation Black Symphony Cd that was included with the Dvd to my computer. I just adjusted the program to copy exactly the same thing. Each track was like 40 mb each. The rate wasnt 320kbps, but 1.4mbs i think. So i supposed that was the best quality since it took so much space hehe My player only has 8gigas of space, but i really dont care because i dont listen to a big variety of music so i dont mind having the best quality.

What i dont  know is if i did it right or not. Are all lossless tracks 40mb in size? Or is it not necessary to take it that far me using the Monster pro Coppers or the Sony NWZ-E354?

I just want to listen to the best quality my headphones and player can reproduce.

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 13
I recommend using lossless, mp3 320 doesn't change the quality that much, many people a/bing mp3 128 and 320 fails to detect which one has higher bitrate, but i (guess) this shouldn't be the case if you compare lossless and mp3 128. WAV (40 - 60 mb/file) also worth it if you got some space in your dap ....
just my 2 cents

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 13
That's for sure. I have some tracks which are 128 kbps and 320 kbps and the ones i copied 1.4 mbs. The difference is quite big.

Can someone confirm? To get lossless out of my cds i just have to copy them exactly how they come out? Ive seen there is a static bitrate and a fluctuant bitrate, that varies with every second of the song. I should use the static right?

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 13
Many users can't ABX (blind test) 320kb/s against lossless (flac/alac/wav) in a controlled listening situation. For portable use the differences are even harder to discern. I recommend MP3 for portable to save space since you can't tell to begin with. I highly recommend a variable bit rate (LAME codec, V0 setting), that will allow an adjustable kb/s, to maximise the sound performance to size ratio. For home use I recommend FLAC or ALAC (if on a Mac) for lossless listening. 

Wav is not recommended for various reasons.

As for how to rip, you should always use EAC using Blowfish's guide to rip for a perfect FLAC rip. After you rip them properly to FLAC then I recommend dBpoweramp to convert using the LAME codecs, which is built into dBpoweramp.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Many users can't ABX (blind test) 320kb/s against lossless (flac/alac/wav) in a controlled listening situation. For portable use the differences are even harder to discern. I recommend MP3 for portable to save space since you can't tell to begin with. I highly recommend a variable bit rate (LAME codec, V0 setting), that will allow an adjustable kb/s, to maximise the sound performance to size ratio. For home use I recommend FLAC or ALAC (if on a Mac) for lossless listening. 

Wav is not recommended for various reasons.

As for how to rip, you should always use EAC using Blowfish's guide to rip for a perfect FLAC rip. After you rip them properly to FLAC then I recommend dBpoweramp to convert using the LAME codecs, which is built into dBpoweramp.

Thanks Keanex,

Question, is FLAC a variable bit rate? or constant 1.4mbs bitrate?

By the way, i noticed that when i ripped my cd, it doesnt say WAV or FLAC, it says "LINEAR PCM". Is that the same thing? Or is it less than FLAC?

Ill go ahead a use the EAC, thanks for that.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 13
FLAC is VBR, but if you convert from WAV to FLAC and convert back you'll see the hash tag is still the same, indicating 0 data loss. By using FLAC instead of WAV you're able to embed artwork, have tags and take up less space. FLAC is better than Wav in every way while being truly lossless.

As for what you ended up with, I'm not sure. A quick google search says it's a form of high quality audio made to compete with SACD. I'm really not sure what it is, but according to Wikipedia it is lossless so it can be converted with no data loss to FLAC. I highly suggest just scrapping that though and using EAC to properly rip your albums following Blowfish's guide. 

For portable use I recommend using LAME V2, but really that's up to you to use FLAC, 320, V0 or V2. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
FLAC is VBR, but if you convert from WAV to FLAC and convert back you'll see the hash tag is still the same, indicating 0 data loss. By using FLAC instead of WAV you're able to embed artwork, have tags and take up less space. FLAC is better than Wav in every way while being truly lossless.

As for what you ended up with, I'm not sure. A quick google search says it's a form of high quality audio made to compete with SACD. I'm really not sure what it is, but according to Wikipedia it is lossless so it can be converted with no data loss to FLAC. I highly suggest just scrapping that though and using EAC to properly rip your albums following Blowfish's guide. 

For portable use I recommend using LAME V2, but really that's up to you to use FLAC, 320, V0 or V2. 

Understood perfectly the explanation about WAV and FLAC, thanks.

Yeah, i suppose LINEAR PCM is lossless since it is as well 1.4 mbs bitrate same as wav. Now, i tried to install the EAC, just got an issue. I have to install the .NET v2.0. im at work and i need admin privileges =S  Any other program that could convert WAV to FLAC?

Thanks

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 13
Linear PCM isn't a file type, it's a way that audio information is encoded that multiple formats use (like H.264 - or rather H.264 is like LPCM audio).  WAV is a container for LPCM (often just referred to as PCM) audio, as is CD audio, DTS, DD, MP3, FLAC, etc., etc., etc.   You're likely ripping it to WAV.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Linear PCM isn't a file type, it's a way that audio information is encoded that multiple formats use (like H.264 - or rather H.264 is like LPCM audio).  WAV is a container for LPCM (often just referred to as PCM) audio, as is CD audio, DTS, DD, MP3, FLAC, etc., etc., etc.   You're likely ripping it to WAV.

True, i remember seeing in my cpu .WAV but my player reads it like LPCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back