What is the best way to connect my laptop to a DAC?
Feb 1, 2006 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MikeLa

100+ Head-Fier
I’m a newbie needing some advice on my setup. I want to use my laptop as a transport (lossless) for the following components; Dodson DAC-263 (24/768), SinglePower Supra amp and Senn HD650 headphones. The DAC-263 has three inputs; S/P DIF RCA, EIAJ Plastic Fiber Optic TosLink, and AEL/EBU balance via XLR. The current configuration will be single-ended, possibly balanced in the future. My notebook will be approximately 20 feet from the DAC.

Any suggestions on connecting my notebook to the DAC? Quality is more important then cost.

Should I just get a USB connection like M-Audio Transit or Audiophile USB or a CardBus connection like E-MU 1616? From what I gather I just need to move a pristine digital signal 20 feet from the laptop to the DAC.

Help

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 16
If all you want to do is get an optical signal out of your laptop (like me), then I suggest picking up an M-Audio transit (about $70, or cheaper if you get it used) and using the optical-out functionality. It's an enabled ASIO device, so you'll get bit-perfect audio if you use a capable player (like Foobar2000).

Both USB and optical cable are extremely cheap.

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 16
If you want to keep your laptop completely wireless, you can setup an Airport Express and use it's optical out. You'll have to use iTunes but you can use apple lossless files and get bit-perfect audio using the Airport Express.

If you're going all out, I'd recommend this cable: http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID51342...ler-Mk-ll.aspx

Be sure to select "T-M" for toslink to mini connector.

The other advantage of using iTunes/Airport Express is if have any other pcs on the network, you can share the music collection. You can also use any pc, besides the laptop, to send music to the Airport Express.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 16
You guys are great. I have a Dell Latitude D600. My output is limited, I assume I will need to use either USB or a PCMCIA SoundCard with optical out. The wireless solution sounds even better, any signal quality consideration?

I just hit the Empirical Audio web site and saw the Off-Ramp, modified M-Transit. Now I'm really confused. Is there a need for a $1,000 usb optical connection or once you get a digital out connection there is nothing to improve upon - a 0 is a 0 and a 1 is a 1?
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa
I’m a newbie needing some advice on my setup. I want to use my laptop as a transport (lossless) for the following components; Dodson DAC-263 (24/768), SinglePower Supra amp and Senn HD650 headphones. The DAC-263 has three inputs; S/P DIF RCA, EIAJ Plastic Fiber Optic TosLink, and AEL/EBU balance via XLR. The current configuration will be single-ended, possibly balanced in the future. My notebook will be approximately 20 feet from the DAC.

Any suggestions on connecting my notebook to the DAC? Quality is more important then cost.

Should I just get a USB connection like M-Audio Transit or Audiophile USB or a CardBus connection like E-MU 1616? From what I gather I just need to move a pristine digital signal 20 feet from the laptop to the DAC.

Help

Dodson 263 is a nice-sounding DAC, and it would be difficult to make it sound bad no matter which digital input you use.

However, I recommend you e-mail/call Mr. Dodson and ask about a coaxial digital cable he endorses and uses. It's a thin little thing made locally by people who were/are "KMF Audio." If you can buy one, I would definitely use that coax cable with your Dodson.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

The wireless solution sounds even better, any signal quality consideration?

There is no loss of sound quality. It is bit-perfect. Just make sure you have the volume adjust turned off in the settings (or all the way up) and any other sound adjustments off. I haven't had any drop outs or any other kind of problems. The only difference is there is a 1 second delay when you first start the music for the buffer to fill.

If you have no problems using iTunes, this is a nice way to go especially for a laptop user. You can do a search on the Airport Express here on head-fi for more info.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 16
I just got my airport express last month after using my onboard AC97 optical out. A big issue could be resampling so make sure you watch for that. All I know is that the airport express has made my listening experience about 100 times better (less cables and lossles bit perfect to my DAC with no resampling). I couldn't get all those things before, but now I have them all in one package. I like itunes and had foobar for awhile, but hated it. It you like itunes, get a airport express no question

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 16
Feb 2, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I just hit the Empirical Audio web site and saw the Off-Ramp, modified M-Transit. Now I'm really confused. Is there a need for a $1,000 usb optical connection or once you get a digital out connection there is nothing to improve upon - a 0 is a 0 and a 1 is a 1?

All you're using the Transit for is a way to get a bit-perfect audio signal out of your laptop, which in turn will be processed by another DAC. So with that in mind, buying a transit with a heavily upgrading line-out is a waste of money in your situation.

All you need is the regular over the counter version.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm no expert on the Dodson, but I assume that a DAC of that caliber would have some kind of jitter handling measures in place. Either way, I don't see it being a major issue, I've never had jitter problems.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 16
haha ....Buy Apples new MacBook Pro and it has a built in optical out port (combined optical digital output/headphone out) like on the Airport express.

All for a mere 2G's

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 16
Since you like wireless, then look into using an Airport Express if your laptop is wireless capable. If you use Itunes you will have bit perfect optical output (disable volume control, sound enhaner, and eq).

The problem is you can only use Airport Express with Itunes.

I think the Transit would really work well in your situation.

Empirical Audio has good stuff but it's really expensive. For that price, I'd rather get a MacBook Pro too.

I think it's neat that so many people are turning to computers as sources.
HeadFi really helped me get my rig set up, so I want to help others too.

Do a search for "kmixer" "bit perfect" "ASIO" "optical" "transit". You'll get a lot of good info and knowledge that will help make your rig what you want at the price you want.

Good luck.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back