What is the best way to connect an amplifier to your computer
Feb 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #16 of 18
Try this on the HK.....it's in the manual BTW:

For sources that have a digital audio output, connect it to the corresponding
Optical or Coaxial Digital Audio Input on the HK 3490. You may connect 
a source’s analog and digital audio outputs at the same time; only one
connection is active at a time. To select the digital audio input, press and
hold the front-panel Source Selector and simultaneously press the T-Mon
Selector to change the audio input as follows: Analog, Optical, Coaxial.

To select whether the source will use its analog audio input or one of
the digital audio inputs, press and hold the front-panel Source Selector
and simultaneously tap the front-panel T-Mon Button repeatedly until the
desired input appears in the Message Display. Audio input selection
requires use of the front-panel controls and cannot be selected using
the remote control.

May 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:
My Harmon Kardon HK3490 receiver has an optical in and I just use the optical out from my Mac Pro or Macbook Pro to that. Haven't compared it to any standalone DAC but the converters (AK4384) are pretty good to my ears. Saves at least one piece of the puzzle.

I know this is an old thread but it showed up in a google search so had to post to correct this information.
I have the schematic of the HK-3490 right here in front of me and the AK4384 is NOT the DAC that plays when using the digital inputs. It is actually the AK4589 that is wired to the digital inputs. The AK4384 is really only for the XM radio section. Only the XM radio signals will go through the ak4384. Not sure why they did it this way and but that is what I see here.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

I know this is an old thread but it showed up in a google search so had to post to correct this information.
I have the schematic of the HK-3490 right here in front of me and the AK4384 is NOT the DAC that plays when using the digital inputs. It is actually the AK4589 that is wired to the digital inputs. The AK4384 is really only for the XM radio section. Only the XM radio signals will go through the ak4384. Not sure why they did it this way and but that is what I see here.

So in this case, which would be superior? The ak4384 or the ak4589?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back