What is the best way to change the volume?
Jan 19, 2007 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

StevenBrouwer

100+ Head-Fier
When you are gaming with your HD555 plugged in the x-fi?

Since there is no volumecontroller in the line of the HD555 (something to do with sq?) I have trouble changing the volume when I am gaming.
I guess there are better ways, than every time the volume is not perfect to alt+tab the game to go to the x-fi panel.
I was wondering:
- Is it possible to have some sort of Global Hotkey (like in winamp) on your keyboard to change the volume of the x-fi-panel?
- Should I buy some sort of box (or amp?) with volumecontrol to plug my headphone and speakers in?
Because I have also the problem that I don't like to change from headphone to speakers, because I have to crawl under the desk to change it.

Damn, I just realised how bad my english is. SORRY! I hope you guys understand though. Can anybody help?

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 3
What about ESCAPE->OPTIONS->AUDIO->MASTER VOLUME?
wink.gif
Just about every game has that. The settings are often separate for music and effects, and, better yet, the game will save them so you don't have to bother the next time.

Alternatively, a multimedia keyboard with volume controller could help, but those often suck for gaming. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any utility that would let you change system volume on the fly.

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 3
Depending on a quality of your speakers, you could get a speaker upgrade for less than a price for an amp. Get a pair of active speakers which have a headphone jack and you are set for a fast volume control. On top of that you get to switch your speakers and headphones more comfortably. Just set your speakers to go mute when the headphones are plugged in. You might even get a better sound for your headphones from the speaker jack than X-Fi, like I did.

Edit: Of course you could get a Beresford TC-7510 DAC, do a search on it. It has four digital inputs (2 x coaxial, 2 x optical), two analog outputs and it's quite cheap, less than 150$(?). You could connect your X-Fi to it. It has a built-in headphone amp (in my less than reliable opinion, not very good), but unfortunately it introduces a bit of hissing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back