what is the best volume control for indigo dj
Jul 11, 2006 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

astranovus

100+ Head-Fier
what's better? using the volume knob on the headphone out, going the internal amp way,

or using the windows control panel and listening via the indigo dj line-out?

shouldn't the latter produce better sound quality?

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Lineout is meant to drive high impedance load (preamp, headphone amp), so I don't think it's a good idea in general to use it with headphone directly especially with the low impedance type.

Jul 12, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228
Lineout is meant to drive high impedance load (preamp, headphone amp), so I don't think it's a good idea in general to use it with headphone directly especially with the low impedance type.

i don't understand this remark.

for some reason the line-out on the indigo dj is volume-controllable.

i was just wondering whether the sound quality on this is better than the headphone out, as i perceive this to be the case with my sennheiser 650s

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 8
I have the Indigo DJ and can tell you that the line out is the way to go with this soundcard. Control the volume with the Indigo Console software. The volume knob on the card is not very good quality and it degrades the sound quality where the line out bypasses it.

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
i don't understand this remark.

for some reason the line-out on the indigo dj is volume-controllable.

i was just wondering whether the sound quality on this is better than the headphone out, as i perceive this to be the case with my sennheiser 650s

The line out should be volume controllable via software, but not via the volume pot on the card. What i meant to say in the earlier post is that, usually, a lineout is not designed to provide a lot of current to drive low impedance load such as headphones, so i think it's normally not a good idea to drive headphone directly with lineout. But if you find good results driving HD650 with it, I have no objection. HD650 might be fine for this application because of it's relatively high impedance among headphones (it doesn't draw much current). So, if you like it, do it
580smile.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 8
i been listening to the line-out and headphone out on my hd650s for a bit now.

i don't know why, but the headphone out sounds much clearer, i think there is too much juice going through the line-out for the relatively sensitive 650s,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back