What is the best sturdy balanced IEM under $100?
Jan 15, 2016 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aljer

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new balanced IEM to get. I want something that has an overall clear sound profile that's not overly bassy or anything. My past two headphones were the UE 600 and Klipsch Image S4. I've found myself disappointed in how easily the connector frays, especially compared to cheaper earbuds I've own like the Monoprice 8320s and Apple stock earbuds. Also, despite the better sound performance from comply/foam tips, I prefer the rubberized ones of the UE600 or Klipsch. And I have a Dragonfly DAC I use my IEMs with. I want something with good build quality, but I don't want to compromise sound quality to the point where there is a subpar set.

What is the best pick for my needs?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 9
I like the Brainwavz M1 in the price range. It has a fun sound and can withstand more than a few snags. I have had mine for years and they still are in great condition.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 9
I've always liked head-direct/hifiman's offerings in this price range. Re400 is the current model. Not sure I can call them "sturdy," per se, but I haven't ever really thought that about iems in general.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 9
I've always liked head-direct/hifiman's offerings in this price range. Re400 is the current model. Not sure I can call them "sturdy," per se, but I haven't ever really thought that about iems in general.

I've heard good things about the RE-400 with sound quality but I've been cautioned to stay away if I'm concerned with build quality and that the connector strains very easily. Is this not the case?

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 9
I've heard good things about the RE-400 with sound quality but I've been cautioned to stay away if I'm concerned with build quality and that the connector strains very easily. Is this not the case?

I'm not sure honestly, I haven't broken mine but after I managed to destroy a pair of 535s in a couple months I've started babying everything I have. I've kinda come to the conclusion that no matter how sturdy an IEM is by IEM standards, they're still inherently fragile little ****s. For me, learning to baby them was a far easier solution than trying to find one with a braided Kevlar reinforced detachable cord, 2 inch thick epoxy jack casing, perfect strain relief and carbon fiber driver housings that still managed to sound good.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm not sure honestly, I haven't broken mine but after I managed to destroy a pair of 535s in a couple months I've started babying everything I have. I've kinda come to the conclusion that no matter how sturdy an IEM is by IEM standards, they're still inherently fragile little ****s. For me, learning to baby them was a far easier solution than trying to find one with a braided Kevlar reinforced detachable cord, 2 inch thick epoxy jack casing, perfect strain relief and carbon fiber driver housings that still managed to sound good.

Good advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back