What is the best SOUNDING opamp for the V4?
Jan 2, 2006 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gibo

100+ Head-Fier
I want the V4 for my Senn 555. What OPAMP do you recon will give the best sound quality, i dont care about price or battery life. For Rock and Metal. What is the default amp like as well.

Thanks for any replies
580smile.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 15
This isnt the most active time of Head-Fi, give it some time.

I also want to state my interest - I am in a similar situation, but with a V3.

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 15
Sry for the impatience sumguy, Australian EST's are a bitch in relation to the rest of the world, not that New Zeland is not part of the rest of the world
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 15
Since the Go-Vibe V4 has not even come out yet it seems a bit early to start asking about which one sounds the best for rock and metal. Although, alot of people have expressed interest in AD8397.

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 15
it's always rather futile to request a definite answer for something so subjective. Different people will give different answers. Though by asking people who have tried certain ones to compare and contrast the sound... and hopefully from the descriptions you can get an idea of what you personally may prefer...
however since this thing is relatively new you'd probably have to wait for more people to get their hands on one. Course you could always try asking the builder directly.

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
I want the V4 for my Senn 555. What OPAMP do you recon will give the best sound quality, i dont care about price or battery life. For Rock and Metal. What is the default amp like as well.

Thanks for any replies
580smile.gif

Preference for a particular opamp is subjective, and AFAIK there's none that's better for rock/metal as opposed to other forms of music. You would just have to listen to several and make up your own mind.

Edit -- t_s already answered...

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 15
I really like the stock one that came with my v3 (8066?)

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Try the opa627. To me, it was excellent sounding.

Not really usable at 9 volts, and even 12v with the adapter would be marginal. I tried one at 9.6v in the home-vibe and could hear it oscillating.

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 15
Interested to hear views on the new V4 with the standard OP285GS installed.

After trying three op-amps in my V3 I settled for the AD8620 which to me sounded the best with my HD600 and HD595 this choice also give me far longer run times than the AD8066 which I run in it from new.

Run the OPA2227 for a month or so but didnt like it much.

If all sounds good I shall order up a V4 next month.

R
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 15
As soon as I get the Go-Vibe (well, if I eventually do),

an "alternative" op-amp I'm pretty curious to try is 2x LT1122 on a dual DIP BrownDog adapter. I have all the stuff, I'd just need to break out the solderig iron.

Some designers deem the LT1122 equally good as the OPA627 and similar in sound signature. The datasheet says "high speed buffering" as one of its intended applications. We should see...

For now, it's evident that its brother the LT1361 does a truly beautiful job at unity gain as a buffer in my Zero Amp. Too bad it's not FET input and equal to the AD8397 in compatibility issues. Yet, think of it, the Go-Vibe 4 features all the needed tweaking for it...

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Just got my V3 after X-mas and have the AD8620 installed. Its not had a full burn-in, but sounds to me a bit better than the stock AD8066. I listen to Jazz and some Metal. Just got the HD-595 and this set-up sounds great. Have read the same about this on other threads.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregor_51
Just got my V3 after X-mas and have the AD8620 installed. Its not had a full burn-in, but sounds to me a bit better than the stock AD8066. I listen to Jazz and some Metal. Just got the HD-595 and this set-up sounds great. Have read the same about this on other threads.

Congrats. This is the same set up as me, I settled with the 8620 . enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back