What is the best setup for PC source, speakers and headphone?
Feb 17, 2004 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
I know the title is a bit confusing so I will explain.

I want to use my PC as a source and I want to be able to have speakers as well as headphones. I have digital out on my PC so I'd like to use that rather than line out. I assume this will give slight improvement.

So I am thinking PC to DAC to Amp? If I got a receiver, it could take care of both the digital conversion as well as the amping to the speakers.

The problem? Don't all receivers have pretty bad headphone amps? Or am I mistaken here? I don't want to spend thousands on a home theatre receiver if I am only going to be listening to music in my bedroom.

So what would the next idea be? How about PC to DAC to amp?

What sort of amp? Well this is where I need your help on. I think it'd be ideal if there was amp that had speakers outputs too! Does this exist? I know the MAD has "preamp" capabilities. In this case I'd like to connect speakers directly to it. So it wouldn't be pre-amping, it would just be "amping". Does this make sense?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Feb 17, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 12
yes, please tell us your budget and what you'd want to prioritize, speaker rig or headphone rig? (I'm assuming headphone rig), cuz you could just like slap in 2 RME cards, one to output to a headphone amp and the other to a reciever then speakers...and that won't be cheap. A cheap solution would be to use onboard audio (if available) for speakers and a dedicated soundcard with foobar (or player of your choice) for the headphone amp.

There are some recievers that have good headphone output, like a few vintage Marantz.

An amp like the MAD Ear+ is indeed a preamp, but it's what it is, a preamp. That means it's NOT a power amplifier, what you use to hook your speakers to. The MAD has two RCA inputs and two RCA preamp outputs. It serves only as an intermediate stage between your source and power amp and speakers. An headphone amp like the ZOTL has speaker outputs, but they're weak and are only useful on small/low power speakers.

Feb 17, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 12
My priority is the headphones but I don't want lacking speakers.

I plan on getting a pair (2.1) of bookshelf type of small speakers. I am going to get a decent pair of speakers. I currently have the Logitech 4.1 (560?) set. I don't want to use computer speakers for music anymore. Nor do I need 4 speakers. 2.1 will do just fine. This is why I need some sort of amp so the speakers can connect to it, using conventional speaker cables.

My budget? I guess 500-1000? Obviously, the lower the better.

I really cannot make a budget if I don't know what I need to make it work.

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 12
If you get a soundcard like RME PAD, you can run one digital out to receiver AND analog out to headphone amp.

Panasonic XR-45 reveiver if you can still find it. If you can the little brother XR-25 or wait for XR-50 to come out in a few weeks. Run a digital out to it and it'll be digital until the very end.

RME = 300
XR45 = 300
headphone amp = what you want <400

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Good idea.

Is there a way to run speakers without buying a full receiver? I don't need all this decoding, etc. Why spend money on a 5.1 Home Theatre receiver if I am just using it to amp 2.1's?

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 12
That would work, but what would I use for a source? I still need a source with two outputs. One analog would go to the speakers and the other (analog or digital) would go to the headphone amp.

If I use digital (coax), then I need a DAC too.

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
Is there a way to run speakers without buying a full receiver? I don't need all this decoding, etc. Why spend money on a 5.1 Home Theatre receiver if I am just using it to amp 2.1's?

Stereo amps usually don't power 2.1s. They power stereo and you could use some preamp output to the sub. A multichannel receiver would have a subwoofer line level out which is still passive meaning the sub still has to have it's own amp.

I like these panasonic amps because the the bass management would be in digital which is better quality than using the crossover in your sub. You would connect via LFE in. Using a totally digital amp would mean you don't have to worry about the interconnects going to it and they have a nice clear sound.

Your other option is just finding some vintage integrated amp for stereo. If you can, just don't get a subwoofer.

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 12
I listen to music mainly at work, and i'm not allowed open them up. As a contractor I could be gone with no notice, so having to open up the computer and take bits out wouldn't go down well.

So - for people who can only use external equipment - can anyone take a punt at what'll be best:
a) total bithead ($270)
b) m-audio sonica theatre (usb, $120) + an external amp - i'd need suggestions for the amp (probably $200+).

What's going to sound best, particularly for the AKG 271 and the Beyer 250-250s? Also, if it'd sound better, would it sound so much better it'd justify the increased cost?

I guess there's the question of upgradability too... which has the best upgrade path?

Nov 18, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 12
i highly recommend the xr-25. it can be had for under $100 nowadays...and it has two optical inputs, and surround sound. i got it a year ago just to listen to music from foobar through optical, but i'm so glad that i did now b/c i am using it for the home theater pc i am assembling. spend the money now, and you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back