What is the Best Portable Source?
Mar 25, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a PCDP is just about your only choice for a digital output in a portable.

Or a minidisc - there's a fair few options in actuality. MP3 players seem to have become the norm of late and you can use lossless compression for the best sound quality, the iPod and Apple's Lossless format leading the way.

I still don't like MP3 players myself and am currently using a PCDP, though looking into portable vinyl for the novelty if nothing else.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #19 of 24
Agree with the iMod.

Great sound, great support from Vinnie.

Also, getting an iMod pretty much guarantees you a long-term investment-they seem to be infinitely repairable-if anything goes wrong Vinnie can replace/repair anything on the iMod.

If you're still looking for K701s, PM me-I'm selling mine now that the UE-10s are on the way!

Rod

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #20 of 24
If you want a portable source with digital output, then the Iriver H140 is the way to go. Stick Rockbox on it and use FLAC for lossless files. You can even upgrade the hard drive to an 80GB. I have done that myself and its very easy. You can also upgrade the battery which again is very easy.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 24
Get an ipod 5,5 G (30 GB), rockbox it, enable the equalizer and set a precut of -10 dB, enable the hardware equalizer and set the low freqs to +3-+5 dB, connect an ety ER4P and smile
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 24
I'm quite impressed with my zune, however, I realised I should have maybe got an ipod when I started looking at car stereo's. I would now suggest the following:

For use anywhere: Zune with 192k wma
For use in an office: usb dac / headphone amp with foobar + flac files
For use at home: squeezebox (or transporter if you're rich) + flac
For use in car: 80/120GB 2.5in 4200 rpm usb hdd + head unit supporting usb >4Gb

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 24
The Archos 604 has great sound quality and great menu navigation. A bit bulky, but I definitely wish I had pulled the trigger on buying it sooner.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 24
I can't say enough good things about my iMod. The sound is amazing, and you can buy it for $400 direct from redwineaudio. Note that I haven't compared it to any portable devices other than (other) iPods. I could not be more pleased with my portable setup (see signature).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back