What is the best portable MD player?
May 8, 2002 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hanjuni79

New Head-Fier
I am thinking about get myself a MD player. What is the best portable MD player out there?
I don't care about the money nor MDLP thing.
All I care about it the sound quality only.
Please help me out.

May 8, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 19
Of all the ones I've heard, I like the E900 best (I'm assuming you're really talking about players, not recorders). That's why I bought it
wink.gif
Vertigo will probably chime in here and agree with me
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 19
Sony MZE75, you can find them on ebay usually. Great unit, i own two.

May 8, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 19
I love my MZE-75. The bass and treble adjustments let you make it sound the way you like. Two headphone jacks are cool for travelling.

gloco, did you get your blue one fixed?

May 8, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 19
There's four players that I personally would nominate as the cream of the crop in a money is not a problem situation...the Sony MZ-E900, Sony MZ-E95, Onkyo MD-P30, and Sharp ST-831.

May 8, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 19
well from my understanding, and all you want is to play music

anything that can do atrac R would give you the best quality

however I belive that sharp's mdp's have a better amp but don't support the higher quality atract r

so any sony, atract r and a porta corda and a senn 600
and you'll have a nifty little porty unit

May 8, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s
anything that can do atrac R would give you the best quality

however I belive that sharp's mdp's have a better amp but don't support the higher quality atract r

TypeR is an encoding-only technology. Any player, even one from 1994, can play it back just fine.

It used to be that Sharp players had more powerful headphone jacks, but not any more, unfortunately.

May 8, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 19
Apart from choosing the portables: My experience is that, a lot of portables seem to sound better when they receive "more" power supply. Try comparing the sound between running on a rechargeable, and running on the AC adaptor. Alternatively, compare rechargeable versus rechargeable + AA battery.

I've always preferred Sharp in the past, but my "ears" have changed and I can't say much about Sonys until I've tried them for myself.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
gloco, did you get your blue one fixed?

No
frown.gif

I'm very paranoid about handing it in to Sony's repair service, i get the feeling i'll never see it again (or they'll charge me more than what the player's worth). Funny thing is i have the red one and its been working just fine for over a year now.

May 8, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 19
I recently bought the E707, and the sound is awesome. I noticed an improvement is sonic quality over my MZ-R909 recorder. I find that even digital LP2 recordings, made using the optical cable, sound quite impressive, surpassing the results from playing CD's in my D-EJ925.

I doubt that you'd be disappointed with either a Sony or Sharp MD player. The JVC and Panasonic models will work equally well, also.

May 8, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 19
Although I'm fairly new to MiniDisc, so much has been written about some of the older recorders, like the Sony MZ-R50 and the Sharp MD-MT821 and 831's. Great build quality and sound.

Maybe we've lost something in the quest to make smaller units, with longer battery life and such luxuries (necessities?) as MDLP and bass/treble controls. Alas, I love my R909 and the new E707, so I'll just *have* to learn to live with them....
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not that struck on the new Net MD models, though. The MZ-N1 is pretty nice.

May 9, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
Although I'm fairly new to MiniDisc, so much has been written about some of the older recorders, like the Sony MZ-R50 and the Sharp MD-MT821 and 831's. Great build quality and sound.

Maybe we've lost something in the quest to make smaller units, with longer battery life and such luxuries (necessities?) as MDLP and bass/treble controls. Alas, I love my R909 and the new E707, so I'll just *have* to learn to live with them....
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not that struck on the new Net MD models, though. The MZ-N1 is pretty nice.

Not really, i have the R50, playback is very good, but much better with the newer E75 unit due to the 8 step tone controls. However, the R50 does seek tracks much faster than any other MD unit i've ever used.

May 9, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 19
My MZ-N1 has already given me literally hundereds hours of enjoyment. I definitely cast my vote for it being one of the best! To my ears, it has excellent sound quality. You can always record optically, but LP2 also sounds quite good and NetMD is very convenient if you have a lot of CDs to record. However, the NetMD software is currently lacking the ability to make very high quality recordings. Hopefully it will improve. Regardless of NetMD, this tiny player/recorder is quite fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back