What is the best portable kit to use with basic M-100's and an IPHONE 5
Sep 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

UKCoachCalipari

New Head-Fier
Have an IPHONE 5 and M-100. Wanting to get a portable Amp to expand the sound, not louder, just more vibrant. Looking at the CMOY C5, E12, E07K, Decware ZenHead, and the O2. ANy head to head experience?

Also, haven't taken cuppertino up on their trade-in offer on the 5S they started last week, not a big fan of Gold and mine is dressed in a Elements Ronin kit, but the A7 is cool. Besides, that Gold can be inspiring to some, but only for a few seconds until the 5S is put into a case never to be viewed full body again until the next trade-in. Anybody know if there will be any changes to the internals as far as algorithms that may enhance sound? 

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 4
The O2 is an excellent sounding amp, but not very portable. It has batteries, but a little too big to carry around in your pocket for use with a phone. More portable in the sense that you could use it with a laptop and carry it in a backpack or laptop bag and use it when you get your laptop out.

CMOYs are nice, but the C5 or E12 would be a step above, IMHO. There has been some reference to EMI problems with the E12, so I would lean towards the C5 just in case that could be a problem for you.

Instead of the E07K, you should look at the E17. A better combined DAC/headphone amp if that's what you decide you want.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 4
If you get a DAC/AMP it won't matter what chip it has, besides what budget are you planning for the amp?  Ideally for the iPhone 5 you really should look into the V-MODA VERZA with a Metallo case, or a VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon with a MM5 case, but that will likely set you back at least $600+ USD, which I think you are not quite ready to spend yet.  The JDS Labs cMoyBB and C5 are two different amp, with the cMoyBB mostly a bass booster which is what you don't want.  However, the C5 is pretty good and has a decent amount of following.  FiiO's are mostly known for their low price and high power, but sound wise it could be a bit dry to some.  The bottom line is that you need to set a goal (which you did) and a budget so others can help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back