What is the best portable amp/dac to use with an iPhone 6 and a Mac?
Oct 21, 2014 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

urovoros

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm new in this forums. I've became interested in audio since I acquired my first "serious" headhphones: Sennheiser Momentum. I might not seem like much, but now I can tell the difference between low quality audio and a FLAC file. The problem is... I don't have an AMP. I'm planning on getting an iPhone 6 soon. Since I'm always on the go (I'm an editor in a video game website), I need a portable amp/dac to use with the iPhone and my Mac. I don't have much time to hear music at home, so I need the best possible amp/dac for my setup. Ideally, it has the same functions as the Beyerdynamic A200p.

Do anyone here has any recommendations for my specific setup?

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Fiio E17.
I would assume the E17's WM8740 DAC chip is a least a little better then what is used in apple products.
You could almost get away with just using an amplifier (Fiio E11K), as usually Apple product come with decent built in DAC chips.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the advice. However, I don't think there is a way to use a line out to get the audio from the iPhone. That's why the A200p caught my eye: it connects through the lightning connector of the phone. Do you know if there are any other amps that can do that?

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 13
  Thanks for the advice. However, I don't think there is a way to use a line out to get the audio from the iPhone. That's why the A200p caught my eye: it connects through the lightning connector of the phone. Do you know if there are any other amps that can do that?

I'm not well informed about what DACs work well with the Apple lightning port.
I think it's just better to play ALAC and other audio files from a FiiO X1 or X3.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 13
Skip the Dac/Amp for your phone and get an X3 gen ii. Gives you a pretty solid DAC/Amp for your Mac and better SQ on the go. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back