What is the best PCDP Source?
Nov 29, 2003 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheHulk

Head-Fier
I have been reading around this great site for a couple of weeks now and find myself dissapointed at the lack of a "newer" quality PCDP source units. It is a disgrace that no one will make a decent player with a solid line out. I have noticed that the new portable DVD players seem to be built somewhat like the wonderful old Sony Discman and look to have some potential. As an example the Panasonic LS5 has a 24 bit DA converter and looks to have fabulous signal to noise and dynamic range as well as both audio and digital lines out.

Anyone have any opinions or experience with this idea?

Nov 30, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 8
That is an excellent question, Mr. Bulk! I recall reading here only one review of a portable DVD player and that focussed on DVDs. It would be very interesting if really high quality CD playback were obtainable on one of these devices!
confused.gif
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
confused.gif

Nov 30, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 8
I've owned Panasonic 5" and 7" portable DVD players and in my opinion, their sound quality was acceptable for airplanes but not impressive for critical listening. They were also quite a bit heavier (especially with battery) than conventional portable CD players.

Dec 1, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 8
I believe that I have read all of the portable equipment reviews and it seems that my current PCDP choices are between a dated vintage SONY player with a solid line out or a new one with a line out of questionable quality.

mad.gif

I realize that we are a little fanaticle about our interest in quality portable music but I would think there would be enough of us to allow someone (SONY?) to make just one quality portable CD player! What would we pay for a SONY ES PCDP? I could easily see something in the neighborhood of $300-$500? I know this is a favorite rant of many of us and it has been beaten to death but it would be so easy for SONY to do this since it would not even take any new technology!

The only option I see currently would be the use of a PDVDP as a source. I would love to see someone review a handfull of the best looking DVD players with the same technical analysis (mesurements) that I have seen in the PCDP reviews.

By the way - I love this site!

Dec 1, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Hello Mr. Hulk,

I ran one Toshiba PDVDP through the RightMark tests a couple of months ago. Here is the unresponded to thread:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=43935

From my experience the PDVDP sound OK but are not for audiophile use. Additionally, some leakage of the disc mechanism operating can be head in the headphones at low level volume. This noise is actually in the line.

Other experments with other PDVDP produces similar results.

So, for me, the virdict of a PDVDP as a CD player is: Good but not great. Better can be had. Have not seen a PDVDP that offers any audio options such as bass boost or treble control. The SD-P1000 has a "Spatializer" 3-D type audio enhancement. It is best not used with music.

Have not tried all the PDVDP models with headphones, though maybe there is a sonic diamond out there. For me, except for the SD-P1000 (and the Toshiba SD-P2000, SD-P2500, the Panasonic LX-9, and the Samsung L-200 all running a distant second or third) *all* and I mean *ALL* of the other PDVDP LCD screens are CRAP.

For me I like the Sony D-555 as the *best* sounding player (others have other opininons but a "classic" PCDP of early 90's vintage is usually cited). If portability is a major consideration then I like the Sony D-EJ2000. No MP3 playback.

Best regards,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back