What is the best music to test portable sources?
Jul 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RAFA

Headphoneus Supremus
HI

I have a lot of PDAPs and I thought they should be compared together. My Problem is that I have not the proper music to do so. I mean I have a lot Hip-Hop and RnB. But this sort of music is more in direction to bass. However please give me ideas for some proper tracks to test my mp3-players. If you would test treble/heights - Mids - Lows/bass - soundstage - clarity, you would use track...

For each points please sugest me one track, this is easier for me to test and keep apart what hights and mids for example are. This is because this is my first time that I want to do a real review of a dap and I want to do it good. However it should be downloadable on amazon.

thanx

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 12
If I test it only by my favourite music, then it would be very easy for me to find the best portable for my taste.....Fuze

But I thought through a variety of special music, I maybe could get some surprises or some diffrent outcome. Through a for example certain track that is emphazised on heights, maybe standardized when it comes if somebody wants to know how the player sounds.

Maybe there is some kind of demo cd or similar. I will try some classical, hmm I am a komplete noob in classical.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Cool, did some search...

That is what I talk about, kontai69 brought it to the point:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fav...ml#post3573179

Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Below are my favorite test tracks. I burn them from original CDs (no MP3's!) onto a CD-R and bring it with me to meets. That way, I'm always listening to and evaluating equipment using only familiar music. All these songs are very well recorded. In addition, the section I use to evaluate gear is right at the beginning, so I don't have to wait to get to the "good stuff." This also allows me to hit the "back" button and quickly listen to the section over again.

TREBLE
- Steve Winwood Higher Love: listen to the percussion at the very beginning for attack and airiness
- Pink Floyd Time: listen to the clocks ringing for treble brightness and shrillness

MIDS
- The Beatles Yesterday: listen to the texture in Paul's voice; also to the body of the acoustic guitar in the right channel
- Diana Krall Just the Way You Are: my standard track for female vocal reproduction; also listen how natural and full the piano sounds
- John Mellencamp Hurt's So Good: listen to the "growl" of the electric guitar at the beginning
- Eric Clapton Unplugged Layla: listen to the body and "twanginess" of the acoustic guitar solo at the beginning

BASS
- U2 Bullet the Blue Sky: listen to the kick drum at the very beginning for bass attack, quantity, and tightness
- Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Flight of the Cosmic Hippo: the bass line throughout the track should sound deep and seismic and have good articulation as well

SOUNDSTAGE/IMAGING
- Rebecca Pidgeon Spanish Harlem: this track should sound holographic and three dimensional; that is, the headphones should "disappear" and it should seem like you are in the room with the performers in a big room
- Asia Only Time Will Tell: rock track with wide and deep soundstage

CLASSICAL MUSIC
- Pachelbel Canon

HIP-HIP
- Eminem The Real Slim Shady

What do you think about the selection? Are there maybe other Tracks more suitable?

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 12
Personally I think something smoother would work, like Jazz or Classical. That way you can get a clear listen to specific sections of the audio spectrum.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 12
Alice Cooper's song Welcome To My Nightmare (the original CD master by Zal) is one I like to use. That's just my preference though. It's got a little bit of everything, and it's a great song.

Use songs that you are very familiar with, especially something well mastered. Something where you are familiar enough to notice even slight changes from what you are used to hearing. Jazz and classical may be good for some people, but probably won't be the best for everyone.

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 12
I pick some of the music I know well, which have good dynamic range and recording.
Pink Floyd, Øystein Sevåg, Kari Bremnes, Massive Attack, Nils Lofgren, ...

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 12
There are some CDs that have songs and sounds specifically set up to test sound systems. I have one from ten or fifteen years ago put out by Chesky Records that is helpful.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I test it only by my favourite music, then it would be very easy for me to find the best portable for my taste.....Fuze

But I thought through a variety of special music, I maybe could get some surprises or some diffrent outcome. Through a for example certain track that is emphazised on heights, maybe standardized when it comes if somebody wants to know how the player sounds.

Maybe there is some kind of demo cd or similar. I will try some classical, hmm I am a komplete noob in classical.

Hi there RAFA I think the best of chesky ultimate demonstration disk will do you just fine:Welcome to Chesky Records: The Premiere Audiophile Record Label
In my opinion it may also be a good thing to test tracks that you don't like or those that sound a bit strange to you.

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 12
Rather than a single type of music, i would say to use a variety of high quality recordings. A good acoustic song for the mids, some classical for detail and highs, some hip hop/rap for bass, uh... the different genres use different things so... yea.

Try everything and see what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back