What is the best music player (software)?
Jan 28, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #16 of 195
i like the audio output in foobar easy to change that setting, comes in handy.

aside from that mostly i just prefer the minimalist view i dont really want too many graphics if im having the music minimised.

decent amount of information readily handy for bit rate etc.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #17 of 195
ALAC has been as open source and royalty free as flac since 2011. Apple just designed it. Added bonus if you, like me have an iPod ALAC goes on it nicely where as FLAC doesn't, though if you use a different player or none at all that won't matter.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #18 of 195
Ditto ... I use iTunes for managing my iPod so I've basically defaulted to ALAC especially since pretty much all software music players now support it. I simply use iTunes to organize my music and create playlists which I then play in my favorite player - Foobar. Actually I'm experimenting with JRiver right now (for the what-th time). I still get pissed because JRiver can't do a simple thing like random shuffle a playlist by album during playback - I mean C'mon! Other than that I'm finding JRiver greatly improved, both in terms of interface and sound.

Don't wanna poke that hornet's nest
blink.gif
- but audio software does sound different in nuance. For example with exactly the same set up and chain - using ASIO as the output for all - I can still detect differences in nuance between say Foobar, JRiver, and AIMP. JRiver edges Foobar just slightly. If you can't hear differences leave your smoking torches outside the moat .. he, he ..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #21 of 195
On my linux box I like Audacious.........selectable ouput plugin, bit depth, buffer size.......also has a sample rate converter and interpolation method selector.  Handles my flacs alacs and wavs suavely.

Cheers!

Gustav

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #22 of 195
After a while using, of course, Foobar, I decided to check again what's out there, and so far I am very pleased with AIMP3 as an alternative, due to:

[size=small]- default ASIO/WASAPI/FLAC/APE/etc support[/size]
[size=small] - remote control apps for Android smartphones via Wifi/LAN - Nice for couch/bed headphones listening! They DO work.[/size]
[size=small] - very fast[/size]
[size=small] - compact yet detailed playlist with bitrate/format/size[/size]
[size=small] - nice default VU-meters[/size]
[size=small] - very nice playlist auto-sorting[/size]
[size=small] - seemingly everything can be customized/toggled on/off[/size]
[size=small] - hover windows tray icon to see file playing + can copy file info[/size]
[size=small] - scheduler[/size]
[size=small] - IT JUST WORKS! no clicks,pops,crashes wtvr... I've had that with Foobar when seeking through a song.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I can't detect sound differences to Foobar. I am aware there may be a hint of new toy syndrome, but look forward to what others think. And yes the looks resemble Winamp. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] This was with the latest 3.50 Beta 2.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Hint: Just make sure you set it up taking the volume to 100% and going to Preferences -> Sound Effects > Disable all the effects/fade non-sense. I also didn't care for the Information Bar when a new song is starting. To disable it: Preferences > Plugins > Information Bar > Untick[/size]

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #23 of 195
Quote:
After a while using, of course, Foobar, I decided to check again what's out there, and so far I am very pleased with AIMP3 as an alternative, due to:

[size=small]- default ASIO/WASAPI/FLAC/APE/etc support[/size]
[size=small] - remote control apps for Android smartphones via Wifi/LAN - Nice for couch/bed headphones listening! They DO work.[/size]
[size=small] - very fast[/size]
[size=small] - compact yet detailed playlist with bitrate/format/size[/size]
[size=small] - nice default VU-meters[/size]
[size=small] - very nice playlist auto-sorting[/size]
[size=small] - seemingly everything can be customized/toggled on/off[/size]
[size=small] - hover windows tray icon to see file playing + can copy file info[/size]
[size=small] - scheduler[/size]
[size=small] - IT JUST WORKS! no clicks,pops,crashes wtvr... I've had that with Foobar when seeking through a song.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I can't detect sound differences to Foobar. I am aware there may be a hint of new toy syndrome, but look forward to what others think. And yes the looks resemble Winamp. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] This was with the latest 3.50 Beta 2.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Hint: Just make sure you set it up taking the volume to 100% and going to Preferences -> Sound Effects > Disable all the effects/fade non-sense. I also didn't care for the Information Bar when a new song is starting. To disable it: Preferences > Plugins > Information Bar > Untick[/size]

+1.  I think  AIMP3  sounds better than Foobar, and the online radio browser it´s just great !

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #24 of 195
Quote:
Don't wanna poke that hornet's nest
blink.gif
- but audio software does sound different in nuance.

+1

I've used Fidelia on my MacBook Pro for a while now and like it a lot. It isn't perfect - particularly the functions to create play lists - but is does sound better than iTunes on its own, and sound is the most important consideration for me. I'm currently auditioning Amara too but the jury is still out. However, YMMV.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #25 of 195
For a few years I've been using MediaMonkey, and I really like it. But I would also recommend the completely free MusicBee which in a way is a little better.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 195
For Windows, foobar. For Mac, Audirvana.

I don't use iTunes as it doesn't natively support FLAC. And please don't tell me it does. It doesn't. Anything I've got to convert to play is not natively. I drop two iTunes in the toilet every morning.

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 195
Quote:
How do people here feel about J.River?  

I am particularly interested in the Mac version for a house-wide networked system.

I finally jumped onto the "pay to play" JRiver boat-wagon. I have tried it over the years and it has really improved by leaps and bounds. I really like the cool theater view when I want to play tunes via speakers away from my desk. Sound is fantastic and customizable. Not sure how the Mac version compares but you can try the full program for a month before committing. I'm using mine simply as a standalone, so haven't explored networking aspects. Check the Jriver forum for ideas; the forum is somewhat sparse so you may have to leave some questions.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #29 of 195
Quote:
On my linux box I like Audacious.........selectable ouput plugin, bit depth, buffer size.......also has a sample rate converter and interpolation method selector.  Handles my flacs alacs and wavs suavely.

Cheers!

Gustav

I'm just getting my feet wet with this 'hi-fi' stuff and as a linux user this suggestion is appreciated. Currently using banshee and it seems okay, are there any features that I should look for in a player as far as sound quality goes? I just placed an order for Grado SR80is and that will be my first 'real' headphones (as in that didn't come from the bargain-bin). 

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #30 of 195
Just kind of stumbled on this thread but thanks to whoever suggested JRiver. Just downloaded and installed it and I am loving it. Awesome program, has every feature I wanted and then some. Yeah it's not free but I think it is well worth the asking price all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back