What is the best music player (software)?
May 1, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #136 of 195
  Foobar, JRiver should be able to read iTunes embedded artwork by default. I use all three and artwork displays properly for all three. I actually use iTunes for all tagging and for running my library and JRiver mostly for playback (and Foobar sometimes). Does your artwork display properly in iTunes?

The artwork is properly displayed on iTunes, and I've even been converting any WAV tracks to AIFF.  I can just copy and paste the iTunes cover image to JRiver tracks, but it seems Foobar sends me to my computer file tree to find and copy an artwork file.  At that point, finding the specific artwork in iTunes is impossible because I think iTunes encodes them in a different way!  Oh well!

May 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #137 of 195
Are you using JPG as your artwork file format within iTunes? I noticed that other formats (like Tiff (anyone still uses it ..mmm?) or PNG, etc), all cause translation problems with other players. I think it's the way iTunes handles those formats. JPG seems universally transferable.

May 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #138 of 195
Frankly, I don't know.  iTunes automatically downloads artwork (for me anyway) when I burn a CD to it or add files like HDTracks files.  I still don't know where to find the artwork file properties to know what type of files they are. Bottom line, I haven't found the directory with the artwork files.  Any help?  Thanks.

May 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #139 of 195
As far as I know it is not individually accessible and there is no folder for it. iTunes embeds it into the audio file which is why if you navigate to an individual file using Explorer (I use Windows) to look at properties the cover image is also displayed. Sorry not much help. You could try retagging the image files using JRiver -- but to be fair, JRiver is very, very slow when it comes to tagging -- iTunes is much faster, and more intuitive for stuff like that. Good luck..

May 2, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #140 of 195
Guess I missed the window of opportunity. 5 seconds to create a new library? Maybe if you only have 5 songs. Try it with 22,000 and it is far longer than 5 seconds. I only installed to see what it offered and it offered me nothing worth $59.99, not even close.

File > Library > Clear Library

J River - Loved the way it organized and played your music and videos, didn't like the auto check and some of the functions.mostly the 60$ price tag.

Auto-import is 100% optional, though once you actually have things set up, you will probably appreciate all that it does.

I use strictly Mac OS.  I used to use iTunes, but my library is too large and iTunes would crash or be too slow.  Furthermore, the audio quality is poor with iTunes. 

http://www.jriver.com/speed.html

Foobar, JRiver should be able to read iTunes embedded artwork by default. I use all three and artwork displays properly for all three. I actually use iTunes for all tagging and for running my library and JRiver mostly for playback (and Foobar sometimes). Does your artwork display properly in iTunes?

I think the problem is that iTunes typically stores cover art in its library rather than embedding in the file.

Can't understand why you would want to tag in iTunes instead of JRiver - that's one of its best features.
You can write rules that are as simple or as complex as you want to quickly make changes to groups of files: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language
There are a number of built in tools like the "Clean File Properties" option to fix title case etc.

iTunes is painfully slow and limited in what you can do when tagging files.

JRiver is very, very slow when it comes to tagging -- iTunes is much faster, and more intuitive for stuff like that. Good luck..

Is iTunes writing tags to the files, or only its database? By default JRiver will write most tag changes to the files, though it does not require you to wait for the changes to be written before you can make new edits. (iTunes is blocked when writing tags to files)

May 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #141 of 195
I still like Swinsian better than Jriver.
L3000.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #142 of 195
  Foobar, JRiver should be able to read iTunes embedded artwork by default. I use all three and artwork displays properly for all three. I actually use iTunes for all tagging and for running my library and JRiver mostly for playback (and Foobar sometimes). Does your artwork display properly in iTune

What's wrong with foobar for tagging? It'll even tag SACDr ISOs and DVD-A and allows for as many tags as you might want to add (or remove). I don't get why people pay for a player when foobar is free, sounds as good or better than any, is exceptionally configurable and has a choice of sound signatures and many functions.

Maybe it's because I've been using it for so long that I find it easy to use, but it let's you decide what you want to do instead of doing things you don't want done/changed. As far as looking good goes; you can make it look as good or as simple as you want it to look.

For me, the less resources used on eye candy the better as it leaves more available for sound quality. It has often been the first player to introduce functions, leaving others playing catch up while foobar perfects what it introduced. I just can't see using another audio player while using VLC for any video needs.

It just makes sense to me to support freeware if/when it does the job as well or better than paid products. I realize others think/feel differently so I'll just keep on enjoying my free music player and not post anymore of my opinions on this matter in this thread.

Long live foobar!

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #143 of 195
Jun 6, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #144 of 195
Quote:

Foobar, JRiver should be able to read iTunes embedded artwork by default. I use all three and artwork displays properly for all three. I actually use iTunes for all tagging and for running my library and JRiver mostly for playback (and Foobar sometimes). Does your artwork display properly in iTune

What's wrong with foobar for tagging? It'll even tag SACDr ISOs and DVD-A and allows for as many tags as you might want to add (or remove). I don't get why people pay for a player when foobar is free, sounds as good or better than any, is exceptionally configurable and has a choice of sound signatures and many functions.

Maybe it's because I've been using it for so long that I find it easy to use, but it let's you decide what you want to do instead of doing things you don't want done/changed. As far as looking good goes; you can make it look as good or as simple as you want it to look.

For me, the less resources used on eye candy the better as it leaves more available for sound quality. It has often been the first player to introduce functions, leaving others playing catch up while foobar perfects what it introduced. I just can't see using another audio player while using VLC for any video needs.

It just makes sense to me to support freeware if/when it does the job as well or better than paid products. I realize others think/feel differently so I'll just keep on enjoying my free music player and not post anymore of my opinions on this matter in this thread.

Long live foobar!

Well, nothing is wrong with Foobar for tagging. My tagging needs are actually very simple (music tags + artwork mostly). I also have a huge library and I find iTunes does a stellar job of managing my library and providing what I find to be a very intuitive tagging interface (> File Info, etc), so I tend to keep those two functions together. Oh yeah I also have a 240GB iPod I load my library selects onto -- I prefer to keep the process seamless and streamlined.

As far as Foobar being a cutting edge Freeware I'm with you there, so yeah 'Long live Foobar!'

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #146 of 195
I use AIMP. It supports WASAPI playback without plugins. ASIO too, if you have the driver. I like it because I actually double click the song I want to play (I'm a very picky listener, the concept of playlists is foreign to me :D) and AIMP feels best with that.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #147 of 195
I'm surprised Swinsian isn't mentioned by more people. 

For me a good player is a combination of audio quality and user experience - think Swinsian ticks almost all boxes for my personal preferences:

Super clean interface, plays FLAC, Gapless playback, uses iTunes library (makes it easier for managing music on any iDevice), loads library super fast, Art Grid view (I love browsing by album cover only), auto adjust output sample rate, nice tag manager. Only unfortunate issue is lack of Windows compatibility.

Among the commercial players, it's also one of the cheapest (USD $20) too.

Edit: corrected price.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #148 of 195
Windows - I used Foobar back in the day. There was no competition. So many plugins and so configurable. Also tons of support.

Mac - I have looked into several and ended up with Audirvana Plus 2. It plays every format I use, including all the DSD formats, FLAC and WV. It also controls the DAC directly, which works very well, and you can add AU filters. Sonically it seems very good. There are some small library and interface bugs though. Nothing critical but it could use a good update.

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #149 of 195
I've been using Pono's music player which I guess is pretty much the same as JRiver.  Just because I got it to download some music and never looked into anything else.  I thought it seemed slow so I was looking at other stuff.  I got musicbee and it seemed to clip and have readily detectable distortion when you turned the volume up...  Can anyone speak to this?

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #150 of 195
bump.
What is the situation nowadays ?
I've been using winamp for 15 years. Just as it is. Without any setting except look customization.

I have e10k and brainwavz hm5 and as i see... nobody really recommends winamp ? Am I missing out? Is sq lower by using winamp ?

And what is all this all this wasapi ? I cannot seem to find a normal human answer.... I've installed asio (whatever that is) drivers for e10k and all I had was trouble. Sound was randomly freezing or hitching with no difference in sound quality so I removed it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back