What is the best MP3 player (.)?
May 19, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #31 of 66
thanks for the info, I'm going for the NJB3 with the extra batt. Now I just have to select a portable amp to power cd3000's. The rig will be a transport i guess, not really to portable as far as running or anything, but thats not a problem. Ill take any amp suggestions you will give me, nothing more than say $500 tho please.

-Also, is the changing of the laptop HD hard? I build computers so, do i just rip it out and put in a new one with the same rpm rating. Thanks.

May 19, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #32 of 66
DANGIT! I had a good post, but hit the back button on accident...gotta start again....

Quote:

Now I just have to select a portable amp to power cd3000's.

Contact MisterX about building you a PPA with battery board or a pimeta. Those are some SWEET amps, and they'd groove well with your CD3ks or HD650s. The bang/buck ratio is awesome for DIY gear!

Quote:

-Also, is the changing of the laptop HD hard? I build computers so, do i just rip it out and put in a new one with the same rpm rating. Thanks.

Nope, not hard at all:
1. remove the old HD
2. install the new one
3. remove the batteries
4. hold the stop button and insert 1 battery. when "creative" is displayed, hit the play button
5. select "format"
6. install the latest firmware via your PC
7. Rock it out old school.

also, check out www.nomadness.net. those are they guys for Creative players!

May 19, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #33 of 66
Make sure you get an amp with a battery board, not 9vs. The battery board holds 12 rechargables or so, and can power the PPA for a long time and can also charge the battery.

May 19, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #34 of 66
Also, you should check on the battery, especially the 2nd one. They are only designed to last about two years from the date of manufacture, whether it's new in box or not. Be sure to get them freshly manufactured.

May 20, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Whats the batt life like on the ipod, is it true that the battery dies after 2 years and can not be replaced? If so, that sucks.

That's BS, the battery does not automatically "die" after two years. Read this message thread over on iPodlounge which covers this topic in-depth:
The TRUTH about the iPod BATTERY and CHARGING

As far as replacing the battery, you can either let Apple do it for you (approx. $99USD), send it off to a third-party company to do it for you (approx. $65USD) or purchase a battery and do it yourself (approx. $38USD).

May 20, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I believe an 80GB laptop dirve will set you back around $130.

$250 or so for the player, $130 for the drive, that gets you a player with more storage, better sound, more feautures, and longer battery life than any other MP3 player around.

Well, for a start that's $380, which is not cheap. Storage isn't debatable. Better sound could be. More features... care to list them? I don't seem to recall Creative players excelled at that...

May 21, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #38 of 66
The best player on the market is the Apple iPod. I think it is the best overall package. Good size, good interface, easy to use and many accessories available. I know that other people may choose other players because of some specific features but I think the iPod is great.

So what faults can I find with my iPod? I wish the battery lasted a bit longer, only because I'm a heavy user, but the other MP3 players are probably similar in this case anyway. It would be nice if the dock had a digital out for use at home with a DAC that I may purchase in the future.

May 21, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
So what faults can I find with my iPod? I wish the battery lasted a bit longer, only because I'm a heavy user, but the other MP3 players are probably similar in this case anyway.

They are not. And I'm not referring just at the one I own. Creative, I-River, Rio... all offer significantly better battery performance.

May 21, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Well, for a start that's $380, which is not cheap. Storage isn't debatable. Better sound could be. More features... care to list them? I don't seem to recall Creative players excelled at that...

The Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3 is probably one of (if not the) most feature rich mp3 players around. Of course its size probably has a lot to do with it. It would be much harder to fit all of the NJB3's features into the form factor of say the iPod or iRiver H series.

eggosmile.gif

May 21, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
The Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3 is probably one of (if not the) most feature rich mp3 players around. Of course its size probably has a lot to do with it. It would be much harder to fit all of the NJB3's features into the form factor of say the iPod or iRiver H series.

The problem is that I don't understand what you mean by "features". What kind of features are you referring to? Given the title of this thread, I would be inclined to say that, for music listening purposes, no player around beats, feature-wise, the Rio Karma.

May 21, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #43 of 66
Get an IHP-140 with optical out to a PPA with diamond buffers and AOS DAC to your CD3000s. There, that should do it..
cool650s.gif

May 21, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
The problem is that I don't understand what you mean by "features". What kind of features are you referring to? Given the title of this thread, I would be inclined to say that, for music listening purposes, no player around beats, feature-wise, the Rio Karma.

There are too many all around features on the NJB3 to list. Use Austonia's DAP comparison tool to see for yourself.

Digital Audio Players Compared

icon10.gif

May 21, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
There are too many all around features on the NJB3 to list. Use Austonia's DAP comparison tool to see for yourself.

Digital Audio Players Compared

I did and was not impressed.
No Vorbis, no FLAC, no playlist saving on the go, significantly smaller display, twice the weight without batteries. One less band for parametric EQ. No mention of any feature similar to Rio DJ (which is sadly not mentioned in Austionia's description).

5 more hours of battery time, with two batteries installed, don't know the weight for that, digital in, recording capabilities, remote with FM radio.

All in all, for portable use as listening tool I don't see it as superior. Does it do gapless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back