What is the best IEM for white noise?
Oct 10, 2008 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

accurate_dB

Banned
Apparently there are white noise generators and CD recordings of white noise that help suppress a person's hearing sensitivity such that this person may find a more favorable condition to fall asleep.

Anyway I think its pretty well accepted understanding that IEMs provide the best isolation amongst the available headphones.

Now the priority for this search is to obtain the most effective means to help someone fall asleep and stay asleep.

On a side note, is there a better recording that would help someone fall asleep better?

There are gadgets out there that generate different types of noise, including white noise. What I learn was that a DAP with a audio recording capability can be used to capture the white noise. This can then be played repeatedly over the duration of sleeping.

In theory white noise covers all of the hearing spectrum with roughly equal magnitude or gain at a pretty uniform distribution.

In this case the smaller the SNR the better, since you are using white noise to drown out the random and potentially interfering signal.

So with that said which IEM would be best? Comfort is important and low cost is important as well.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 6
I would think going for the MOST comfortable headphones regardless of quality would be best for this....maybe something that you can still lay on your side with, and not be uncomfortable.....I know I definitely cant do that with my E2c's, they stick out way too much.

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 6
I decided to go with J33 marshmallows.
The quality fit and headfi recommendations won me over.
I hope that I won't have to burn in
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Prob won't have to burn in just for white noise.. Seriously though. For most canal phones and IEMs, lying on the side with them may be a prob.

You don't need a DAP with recording to record white noise. Just head here: Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix
The site provides a few choices of .WAV files for the burning in of audio products. White noise is available for download there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back